Baby horned nerite in cycling tank... will it survive?

FishFixation

I am cycling a 6 gallon tank, and in it, there is a baby horned nerite snail (it's less than 1/4"). I'm at the nitrite phase of the cycle - ammonia is quickly processed, but this morning I had 1 ppm nitrites. The snail survived the night, and seems to be managing okay despite the high nitrites, but I'm concerned for it. How hardy are snails? Do you think he will make it another few days with me dosing ammonia and with high nitrite levels?

I discovered it late last night, and if I had been thinking, I would have tossed it in my betta tank at least temporarily until this one finished cycling. Should I try to pull it out and get it into a safer environment, or do you think it'll be okay? It seems fine for now, but I don't want to kill it...

jerilovesfrogs

welcome to fishlore =] well i'd personally move it. better safe than....not. I would say they are hardy....but could probably only stand so much ammonia/nitrites.

FishFixation

I moved it to the betta tank and it's already cruising around on the gravel, eating the algae I have in there.

I didn't plan on getting a snail, but I figure since people pay money for these, and since they're good little algae eaters, I might as well try to save it.

Plus, now I can dose as much ammonia as I need to in my 6 gallon without worrying about killing my prize surprise snail. I just hope the betta doesn't notice it.

fishdaddy725

Give the snail some place to hide the where betta can't get him. If your betta is particularly aggressive he might nip off an eyestalk or something.

FishFixation

Well, fortunately, he blends in with the gravel pretty well... there are plenty of hiding places in the tank, it's just a matter of whether or not the snail is smart enough to utilize them...

jerilovesfrogs

so how did the snail get in there? do you know?

FishFixation

Kinda funny story... I ordered plants from someone online, and, not wanting pest snails, I treated them with KMnO4 prior to adding them to the tank. The next night, my roommate noticed something in the bag that my plants came out of - and saw the snail in the bag. I came to look at it and recognized it as a horned nerite. I wasn't thinking clearly because I tossed it in the tank that was still cycling. I instantly regretted that decision, fearing that the nitrites would kill it, but couldn't find it to pull it out. To my surprise, it was still alive the next morning, cruising around on the acrylic, and going from plant to plant. Since then, I have moved it to the other tank and it's now happily chowing down on my mild algae problem there, where it looks and moves enough like a rock that the betta hasn't noticed it yet...

Top Bottom