Baby Hippo

zeeter

I know I shouldn't have gotten it, but I did. TFS had these baby hippo tangs pretty cheap and I couldn't help myself. My concern was that the yellow tang wouldn't like him, but he pretty much ignores him. On the other hand, my percs chase him all over the place. Currently he's in a safe spot, but I'm a little worried that they'll catch him at some point. This guy is barely an inch long. Looks real cute, though.

Aquarist

Congrats on the new addition!

I hope you can share some photos or a video sometime. Although I'm not a salt tank keeper I love to see the tanks and fish

Best wishes!
Ken

charzar-g

Wow, I want to see pictures too please!!
I know for a fact that a pair of clowns get VERY terrotorial over 'their patch', particularly once they're a mated pair...
If I am correct on this (and someone please correct me if i'm wrong) but they should eventually ease off of the baby once they realise he isn't a threat... or the complete opposite and constantly chase him out..
If your tank is big enough, he should have enough room to be in the tank comfortably, but out of the percs' terrotory.

zeeter

Here he is.

Attachments

charzar-g

Awwwh!! ;D
How cute, he's almost the same size as the snail shells! hehe!

Are the clowns still chasing him around?

jenste

awwww I have always had a soft spot for hippos - - I am a sucker for the "freckles" they get when older ;D

zeeter

He's smart enough to stay away from the clowns for now. Every once in a while he'll venture over into Clown Territory and get chased away. He seems to like to stay near the green chromis. Maybe because at this point he has a similar body shape and is just a little bit smaller than the smallest one. At night he sleeps on the back of a powerhead. Quite ingenious, I might add.

I've always had a soft spot for Hippos, too. And this one is so small that it's like buying a new puppy - I get to raise him and watch him grow. He's cute in how naive he is about stuff. Hippos are friendly and he goes to introduce himself to the other fish and they either chase him away or just act indifferent. That doesn't deter him, though.

lanlesnee

They should leave him alone. Next time put your new fish in at night when all the fish are asleep. They will show a lot less aggression towards the new member. You can also put a mirror close to the clown's area for a few days. This will make them think there are other clowns trying to move into their area with keep them busy.

Are you feeding it algae with garlic? Hippos are prone to ick. Mines cought it 3 times now. I just make sure your'll feeding it the algae with garlic and lots of mystic shrimp.

When mine get it I just raise my temp to 82 and it's usually gone in a day without effecting my other fish.

My hippo gets along great with the other tangs in the tank. They will school together quite offten. It's quite a site to see a hippo, sailfin, yellow tang and even my foxface and singapore angel follow each other around.

zeeter

I did introduce him at night. Wasn't till the next day that they started chasing him. Yep - feeding him seaweed on a veggie clip plus garlic reef flakes.

Most photos and links are disabled if you are not logged into the forum.

Top Bottom