baby guppies?

luvlee11

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I went to this new pet store and bought some feeder guppies. I wanted to get some because, seeing that their fate was being eaten. I put then in a 10 gallon tank and they have a pale whiteish color. I was wondering if they were going to get colors like the adult guppies i saw in the tanks. They had orange , blue red and so on.

TFA101

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
doubt it. not half as vibrant as the fancy guppies. They are dubbed as feeder fish because of their lack of color and relative overpopulation to our hobby. However, I have seen some iridescent streaks of blue, green, and even some orange on the males, but for the most part, they're just a greyish green color

luvlee11

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
TFA101 said:
doubt it. not half as vibrant as the fancy guppies. They are dubbed as feeder fish because of their lack of color and relative overpopulation to our hobby. However, I have seen some iridescent streaks of blue, green, and even some orange on the males, but for the most part, they're just a greyish green color
thank you for your answer but is there any way they could be fancy guppies?

TFA101

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
unless some fry got switched around during shipping, I doubt any of them will have the coloration their fancy cousins have. I've heard many people say that feeders do have a fancy personality, just lacking the colors.

Nick G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It's unlikely. The only way to get true fancy Guppies is by selective breeding. When Guppies are allowed to breed indiscriminatly then the fry tend to revert back to the wild colouring. One reason for this is that the smaller tailed, less brightly coloured males tend to be the first to mate with the females, as they are faster and less conspicuios than the large tailed, brightly coloured males.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom