Question baby guppies

woody03

Reaction score
hi my female guppie has just had 11 babies i was wondering if anyone could tell me on average how many weeks old are they when you can put them back into the main tank thanks

angelfish220

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hello Woody03! Welcome to fishlore!!!

Really it depends on what you are keeping your babies in. Generally the bigger the tank they are in, the faster they grow, assumming that the water quality is good. Ive never breed guppies but my platies it takes about 3 months or so before I feel comfortable in putting them in the main tank.

NewBKaeK

Reaction score
Congrats on your fry! =]

My female had a batch of fry about two weeks ago, I didn't separate them so some of them fell victim to natural selection, but I still have around 8-10 of them swimming freely around.

Generally speaking once the fry are bigger than the mouth of the fish in your main tank, it is a safe bet that they wont get eaten, probably about 2-3 weeks. My fry are a little smaller than the mouths of my other guppies and they are being ignored.

ninilie

Valued Member
Reaction score
I just keep mine in the same tank with the adults. I have lots of floating plants and plants/hiding places at the bottom. I also have some that are pretty small maybe a week old and are ignored.

Charmaine

Valued Member
Reaction score
Congrats on your new additions, you must be such a proud mommy!!
I would say about 6 weeks should be sufficiant, but like NINILIE said, have lots of floating plants and hiding places, most of them should survive that way.
Good luck and keep us updated!!

Fishies-for-me

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
One note to this ...it is my experience that if you leave the fry in with lots of cover they are generally ignored as stated above. You will loose the weaker and slower ones to predation....BUT....if you remove them and then add them back to the tank at a later date the adults WILL see them as a food source and will actively ( and happily) hunt them down and eat them....lol.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom