Baby Guppies

1. Linda4088

Linda4088 Well Known Member Member

I'm so excited I just saw some baby guppies. I have a planted tank with a lot of places to hide and floating plants but will be other adult guppies try to eat them?

2. Flowingfins

Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

Yes they will. If you want the majority of them to survive put them in a seperate tank. if not than leave them in there.

3. cichlidman

cichlidman Well Known Member Member

some do some dont. not sure what factors are involved some of my tanks some get eaten while others are over run

4. OP
    OP
    Linda4088

I've been watching and the babies are swimming very close to the adults and the adults are ignoring them.

5. junebug

junebug Fishlore Legend Member

Fry eating depends entirely on the strain you have. I find that even with fry eaters, fry raised in a well planted tank with the adults turn out healthier and smarter, as they have to deal with "predatory" fish from an early age. This tends to mean that only the fish with developmental issues, or ones that are born unhealthy, get eaten and the strong survive.

6. K

Kay Bears New Member Member

I have 2 tanks setup... one tank ignores the fry.. other tank massive slaughter.. no fry left alive :(
    even larger fry gets harass a lot.

I usually look at the poop.. dark black = eaten fry... most of my food are light green and orange and ill see dark poop around when a lot of fry pop up... just need to separate them early

7. OP
    OP
    Linda4088

Well I got back from being out of town for four days and everybody's doing fine and my baby guppies are swimming around I see one actually has blue tail and he's tiny

8. Matt68046

Matt68046 Valued Member Member

I don't usually worry about it. You can find cheap breeding nets at Walmart sometimes, but at about a week their to big to be eaten anyways. Well fed guppies shouldn't cannabilize, not to the extent noobs will claim.

9. K

Kay Bears New Member Member

I have 2 strains in 2 40 gallon tank. My regular orange guppy do not eat the fry, my purple/yellow spider strain are very aggressive, even fighting for bottom feeder wafers. They eat a lot of the try, even with a lot of hiding places. I can tell with the darker poop