Baby Guppies 5 Weeks Old

Discussion in 'Guppy' started by Jellywish, Apr 20, 2019.

1. JellywishNew MemberMember

Hello All,

Five weeks on Friday and they are really starting to look like proper fish!
    I love watching these little guys grow up! If any have gonopdiums I still can't tell haha but four of them are massive in size and like to uh 'dance' around the two smaller ones haha they also have colour too so I'm guessing the big ones are the boys :) enjoy the pics
    20190420_151935.jpg ^the fam Lumii_20190420_151651480.jpgLumii_20190420_151713362.jpgLumii_20190420_151415308.jpg ^Clyde is the biggest boy Lumii_20190420_151511618.jpgLumii_20190420_151530727.jpg I've separated Bonnie as she is really tiny like 3 weeks old tiny and I wanted to give her a chance to grow a little bit (she looks so sad ) :(

Goodbye for now but not for long :D
    Lumii_20190420_151740932.jpg

2. SFGiantsGuyWell Known MemberMember

Good job! (^_^)-b

3. GuppyDudeNew MemberMember

My 3 month olds dont look as good as your 5 weeks. Congrats. Keep us posted

4. kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

very cool... I love when my guppies breed and i get to see the babies hanging wit the big boys n girls... i don't even seperate em anymore. my tanks are heavily planted so their survival rate is usually pretty good

5. CrazycoryfishladyWell Known MemberMember

Yeah some of my mosaic babies take a really long time to grow, I always make sure they have big bellies, but they stay small for quite some time.
    I've been meaning to have a journal as I regularly breed them for profit and educational purposes.

6. JellywishNew MemberMember

Any idea on how to help the smaller one grow? Is separating her enough or is it because she had scoliosis? As you can see she is no longer bent but perhaps it has had an impact on her growth

7. CrazycoryfishladyWell Known MemberMember

There's a possibility that it could make her grow a bit slower than the others, I do think it was a good idea to seperate her, the bigger ones could out compete her for food.
    I like to feed mine a variety of flakes, crushed bug bites, and frozen cyclops, I think they grow faster when they eat cyclops than the other foods, since it's the most natural and probably tastes the best, they eat it a lot so it must be nutritional for them xD
    You can get them for like 5-8 bucks in the frozen section at petco or anywhere, where they keep the frozen blood worms..

8. JellywishNew MemberMember

Wonderful thank you :)
    I do give them blood worms every second day they seem to really enjoy them except of course the smaller one, she doesn't want to eat very much bit I'll buy some cyclops' and see if she has a go on them :D

9. albertasfinestNew MemberMember

Congrats on the beautiful babies! Just a quick question... what brand/which breeder box is that that you are using? I like the size, and am interested in one to use as an isolation box myself..

10. JellywishNew MemberMember

I use the
    I use the marina multi box, it's a decent size but I have had problems with it so I did some tinkering to make it appropriate. My first problem was that it hooks onto the sides of the tank instead of being suction cupped so it did not stay, I grabbed an elastic band tied the ends together and used the lid of the tank to hold it in place
    20190425_124332.jpg20190425_124514.jpg I also had to super glue the metal hooks to the box as they refuse to stay there themselves which I found frustrating, the glue also leaked when I applied it causing an ugly glue stain lol 20190425_124423.jpg
    last but not least I had a batch of 26 fry before this lot and even with the silly baby base that's meant to stop them from falling through the cracks they managed to get through and in one night 26 went to 0... the goldfish had a blast sucking them through too. To prevent this I cut the plastic base from a fabric shopping bag into the shape of the container to prevent them from slipping through and it's worked a treat (that's why the bottom is black ) if you can be bothered going through that by all means buy yourself one but there are alot better ones out there. I got a smaller one off of eBay for $3 and it works well with no adjustment it's where I keep my smaller fry :)
    20190425_125552.jpg

11. albertasfinestNew MemberMember

Wow, sounds like a pain in the butt! Thanks for the heads up, and I'll definitely take your advice and steer clear of that one!