Baby Gourami What Do I Do

• Thread starter SolidTetra
  • Start date

SolidTetra

IMG_4465

just got home from a fish store with 2 Platnum gouramI and a little surprise. idk how to care for a gouramI fry and it could be in danger if I just put it in a 60 gallon tank. any help is appreciated.

CaptainAquatics

Well Known
What makes you so sure it is goramie fry?

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
I doubt that is a gouramI fry. I'd need a close up picture but it is more likely to be a livebearer like a platy of guppy. If you want to raise it then separate it from fish big enough to eat it. A breeder basket would be very useful right now. If you can't get one just yet then float a container of water in the tank to keep it warm, feed finely crushed flakes for now and change the water in the container daily by poor a bit out and adding more back in from the main tank.

CaptainAquatics

Well Known
Demeter that's what I was thinking.

SolidTetra

Demeter said:
I doubt that is a gouramI fry. I'd need a close up picture but it is more likely to be a livebearer like a platy of guppy. If you want to raise it then separate it from fish big enough to eat it. A breeder basket would be very useful right now. If you can't get one just yet then float a container of water in the tank to keep it warm, feed finely crushed flakes for now and change the water in the container daily by poor a bit out and adding more back in from the main tank.
would the fish be fine with the gouramI and 11 neon tetras? I'm also concerned that my filter could suck it up

Dava

Maybe wrap some filter foam or tiny-holed random netting around the filter intake?

Bryangar

Fishlore VIP
SolidTetra said:
would the fish be fine with the gouramI and 11 neon tetras? I'm also concerned that my filter could suck it up
Demeter just said the fish might get eaten.. So I guess do at your own risk.

Get something like a sponge to cover the intake tube.

Samanthaljay

I would float it in a container if you can't get a breeder box today. I would be nervous to put it directly into the tank unless you aren't too concerned with what happens to it.

Dava

Try watch YouTube videos on making your own breeder fish fry container. My favorite is taking a plastic bottle with cap and hanging it over the side of the tank. Works best with 2 litre soda bottles. You cut off bottom portion, leaving a large rectangular "tab" intact, flip it upside down so the cap points to the floor, and use a cigarette lighter to partly melt the plastic and bend said "tab" into a hook. Hold the lighter 2-3 inches underneath the plastic to avoid creating holes and keep it moving back and forth to distribute heat evenly. As it softens, stop and bend into hook shape, and repeat. Poke holes in sides, and voila! Cap part comes in handy because you can just unscrew it and take it off...baby fish swims in/out safe place without stressful catching.

SolidTetra

cool, Thanks for all the advice!

Top Bottom