Baby Ghost Shrimp!

NinaB

Reaction score
Today, I picked up from PetSmart 4 ghost shrimp to place in my 10-gallon planted betta tank. I knew there was a possibility that he wouldn't be too happy about them, but he hasn't seemed overly aggressive.

I placed them in a bucket and acclimated them using the drip airline tubing system for about 1.5 hours. I slowly placed them in the tank and the betta was mostly just curious about them and if he got too close, they swam away. He doesn't seem to be bothering them much now.

However, on the car ride back home, I noticed that one of them was carrying eggs! She has quite a few of them. By the time I was ready to add them to the tank, I also noticed that another one had about 6 eggs inside of her.

I have read that to successfully hatch the babies, you need a separate tank. I don't have a tank, but I have a 2-gallon bucket and I'm assuming they won't really care if it's Home Depot orange?

If I do decide to separate them and attempt to hatch the babies, I have a few questions:

-How many babies would I roughly have, assuming both females give birth in this separate bucket?
-Do I need a heater for the bucket?
-A sponge filter is the best for this, yes? I have tubing and would just need the pump/filter. This isn't an issue.
-Does the bucket need lighting? I can keep the ceiling/room lights on during the day, that isn't a problem, so would this be alright?

Thank you for any help!

NinaB

Reaction score
Update: the super pregnant female sadly didn't make it, but I managed to place her eggs in a small container with tank water and some hornwort. hopefully I'll be able to save a few!

maggie thecat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ghost shrimp don't hatch as shrimplets, they go through intermediate steps starting as a larva and progressing. You need a source of green water as food.

There are threads on the ghost shrimp subforum that may help.

E150GT

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What I am currently doing is I have a 1o gallon tank that is bare bottom with just a sponge filter. It houses my two murderous shrimp. I got a $5 breeder net and fixed it to the tank and added a few plants. Some floating anachris, my anubias without a home, and two marimo moss balls. I placed a near ready to have babies ghost shrimp from my 5 gallon into the breeder net and just checked back occasionally to see if she dropped the babies, When she had, I scooped her out and put her back. Now I just have the light on the 10 gallon for the plants and am letting the baby shrimp do their thing. Its been about a week and I see they look to have morphed into baby shrimp already. Its hard to tell as they are so small, but they look like they have legs and are chilling on the plants instead of bobbing in the water as before. I am just going to let them do their thing until they get bigger, or die off, I have not changed the water in the tank as I want them to have stuff to eat. Hopefully they survive.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom