Baby fish bowl???

1. newtothis Initiate Member

Hi Group!

Forgive me for not knowing, but that's why there are forums. Realizing my pretty red swordtail was about to drop the stork load, I placed her in a wide glass bowl with some live plants. Sure enough, by the next morning, she graced me with about thirty babies. I removed her from the bowl.

My questions are:
    1) Are the babies ok in the bowl (as opposed to a netted breeder room in the tank itself)?
    and
    2) For how long?
    3) What maintenance is needed during the eight weeks?

Thanks!

2. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Welcome to Fishlore! It's great to have you with us! I've never had baby swordtails before, so I will tell you some of the stuff I have seen posted based on other's experience.

I don't think the bowl is a problem. Depending on the species of fish, lots of babies are raised in mason jars, bowls, etc. You will probably be doing a lot of water changes though (like at least 1 a day) to keep the water very clean. I would also add an airstone and a heater to your bowl to keep them warm and to keep the water full of oxygen. You should probably keep them separate from the other fish until they are no longer "eating" size to the other fish. And as already mentioned, daily water changes of probably 50% or 75% would be in order. Just be careful you don't suck up the babies!