Baby Fish And A Small Community Tank?

Alexa14

Reaction score
Hello! So, in one of my past threads, I got 6 baby fish that were free because the petstore didn’t know what kind they were, and were only about the size of the tip of a pinkie finger. Within the last month, they have doubled in size, but are still really tiny. They are in a nursery tank that is floating in my 10 gallon tank, and are just trying to get into main tank. I was wondering if I could put them in this tank. Right now, the only other fish in there are a 2 nerite snails, and a baby(more like teenager) Betta fish. Also, when the baby fish get older, will I be able to keep them in the 10 gallon tank? Any advice? The babies are most likely mollies, and I understand that the tank may be too small to house all of them.

JJfishes

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Some Bettas will tolerate tank mates and others won't. I'd wait for them to get at least an inch or so before you release them and be sure to monitor both them and the Betta and do a count every now and then to make sure they are all alive.

Since they are most likely unfit for a 10g, you could find a local pet/fish store that would take them, some privately owned fish stores will allow you to trade them in for another fish.

Alexa14

Reaction score
Ok, thank you! I will definitely look into that! I may also buy a bigger tank. What size would you recommend?

JJfishes

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
6 Mollies would work well in a 20-gallon tank. Long would be better I think for more swimming space.
If they are sailfin mollies which get about 6 inches, A 29 to 30 gallon would be needed.

They seem like small fish but need lots of room.

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Alexa14 said:
Hello! So, in one of my past threads, I got 6 baby fish that were free because the petstore didn’t know what kind they were, and were only about the size of the tip of a pinkie finger. Within the last month, they have doubled in size, but are still really tiny. They are in a nursery tank that is floating in my 10 gallon tank, and are just trying to get into main tank. I was wondering if I could put them in this tank. Right now, the only other fish in there are a 2 nerite snails, and a baby(more like teenager) Betta fish. Also, when the baby fish get older, will I be able to keep them in the 10 gallon tank? Any advice? The babies are most likely mollies, and I understand that the tank may be too small to house all of them.
I agree that you need to wait until they're at least an inch long before releasing them in with the betta. You could keep 4-5 regular Molly's in a 10 gallon tank, but you'll want to make sure the ones you keep are all males or all females or you'll end up over crowded with more babies. To have that many big fish in a 10 gallon tank you'll have to probably do 50% water changes every week without fail to keep nitrate levels down.

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Alexa14 said:
Ok, thank you! How long will it be before I can determine their gender?
Probably at 1.5-2 inches (just a guess) post pictures of you're not sure when they get about that size.

Alexa14

Reaction score
Ok, will do! Thanks!

Here are my baby fish. Does anyone have an idea of what kind they are? They have clear tails that are rounded, like a molly’s, or guppies tail, and the tails are completely clear.
image.jpg

Noroomforshoe

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Did you notice what fish were in the tank that might have given birth to the fry?
My guess would be platies or swordtails,

I cant tell the size of the fry, but some bettas, being carnivours, will eat small fish.

you could propobly keep a few same sex platies in the ten gallon.
Swordtails would need at least a 20.
Mollies a 30.

Alexa14

Reaction score
Ok, thanks! So, at the petstore, the were a catfish tank, and the catfish were all about 2-3 inches long. They were all dead of course. . Anyway, the only tanks next to the catfish’s were a swordfish tank, and a goldfish tank, but there were also guppies and Platy’s and Mollys in surrounding tanks, so, they really have a chance of being anything. At the petstore, some of the tanks are all just one big one with wall like dividers, which may explain why the fry were in a catfish tank.

Noroomforshoe

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
And the mollies, swords, and platies look so similar, I think you just have to wait. Luckily they all have similar care requirements. But YeY for free fish!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom