Baby Female betta Has Breeding Stripes??

paloma17

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I got my baby betta about 2 months ago, and she’s still pretty small, doesn’t have full color yet. I was gone for the weekend, but I fed her before I left and it shouldn’t have been a problem. Today I get back, she’s sitting on the heater in the corner (its flat on the bottom, I don’t have substrate), and she doesn’t swim around when she sees me. I give her some food, and lo and behold she has vertical breeding stripes!

Image1525040023.486994.jpg

It’s hard to see in the photo but she also appears slightly bloated. I haven’t done any tests yet as I just found her like this just now, but has anyone else had a... prepubescent (I guess??) betta display breeding behaviors?

CraniumRex

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I don’t have female bettas but possible they are stress bars. Is your thermometer right? She might be c-c-c-old. Looks like just a little over 20C or 72F.

Yes she does look a little bloated. Cooked shelled pea maybe would help.

paloma17

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
CraniumRex said:
I don’t have female bettas but possible they are stress bars. Is your thermometer right? She might be c-c-c-old. Looks like just a little over 20C or 72F.

Yes she does look a little bloated. Cooked shelled pea maybe would help.
I have a heater in the tank AND a heating pad (originally for plants) underneath it, and I can’t seem to keep it as high as I should most of the time (even though I keep the ambient room temp as high as I can stand). I’ve seen her with stress stripes before and those are always horizontal, these were decidedly vertical. I did some tests and all the parameters were well within limits. The only thing I can think of that might even potentially trigger it is I got a new adult male betta, but his tank is on a different shelf completely out of sight of hers so that doesn’t make much sense.

WanhiBetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
what are your exact parameters? You should buy another heater if the one you have goes below 78, because this is way too cold for a betta and will affect her immune system in the long run.

WhatsUpGuys

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
She doesn’t look bloated. Mature females will always be a little chubby if you feed them right. She’s probably just going through puberty right now so...

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom