Baby Discus

dezdude

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I bought my discus almost a month ago and it is doing great! It is about 2 inches long. How old would you say it is? and at what size should i consider getting a 55 gallon for it? I can't afford the big discus, only juveniles...but I have been pretty sucsessful at picking high quality, healthy fish, so I don't feel like I am gambling all that much.

also, anyone know where I can purchase juvenile discus? The store I bought it from only had blue juveniles, I would like about 5 or 6 of different colors

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning Dezdude,

I'm hoping our member Slug will see your thread and respond. He has beautiful Discus which you may already be aware of.

I always like to buy fish as juveniles when possible. Not only is it usually cheaper but you get to see them develop over the years. Buying older fish, you never really know for certain as to how old they are. With yours being around 2 inches I would guess it is about 1 year to 18 months old at the most.

Anytime that you can upgrade to a larger tank, I say go for it I don't think there is any set time as to when they need to go to a larger home. Sooner the better in my opinion.

Hold on for more responses and best wishes!

Ken

dezdude

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thank you Ken. I am likely going to get a 55 gallon soon and I want to put discus in it probably. How many can I put in there? and what other tankmates could I have?

lostsoulstav

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
As long as there's enough water changes and good filtration, usual rule is 10 gallon per discus. for a list of tank mates.

ifixoldhouses

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
at 2 inches its more like 3 or 4 months old, unless its stunted.

Fish Monster

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yeah mine are about 2 inches to about 2.5 inches Iknow there not stunted so I was guessing baout 3 -4 months old as well, I was told full grown at about 12 - 18 months sound about rite?

ifixoldhouses

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
18 -24 months is full grown.

Fish Monster

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Oh I see, so how old are the usually when they are say half grown then? about a year maybe 12mnths?

Slug

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Growth rate is very relative to their conditions. I've seen them pounded with food and be fully grown 6-7" in a year, also seen it take longer. It's hard to judge age unless the breeder knows or you breed them.

6 in a 55 gallon at full size is good. More if smaller however more fish means more water changes, or larger water changes.

Fish Monster

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yes that is what I was thinking it gives basically gives me the recomended of one Discus per 10 gallons of water, and if it takes a year or more to get them to full size who knows maybe I will have a larger tank by then. I ust wanted to make sure that if I do not up grade to a larger tank size that I was ok with 6 in my 55 gallon. Oh having said that is it possible to still throw in like 8 - 10 ummy nose Tetras to act as dither fish to that? or is it just 6 Discus per 10 gallon and now I would have no room to add those tank mates???

Fish Monster

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Oh and once they are full grown with 6 in my 55galon would 40% of the water which is basicall 20gallons water change 3x a week good? This is what I am doing now anyway 40% 3x a week for the two little guys I have in there I was justw ondering if this was enoough for the adults once fully grown and with 6 in the tank or would I have to bump it up 40% 4 or 5 times a week or maybe 50 - 60% 3 times a week like now 3 times a week but more like 50 to 60% instaed of the 40% I am doing or is what I am doing good enough even for the full grown fish at max load of 6?? your exp is really helpful big time thank you!

dezdude

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
dangg 40% 3x a week? that's it? you should be doing it atleast 90% 2x a day (sarcasm)

i have my lil discus in a 20 gallon, it swims around eats pellets and such, living very healthy with full colors all the time.
I know the tank should be bigger, but why does this discus seem so comfortable wit all the other tankmates, (6 tetra's, 3 corries, ram, discus) I am searching for a 55 gallon, just I can't afford the 5 other discuses part lol

joshua 74

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
4 my baby discus they are in an 80L tank i do 40% water changes every 2nd day. i feed them till they stop eating 2 times a day. this has worked really well iv hade them 4 about a month and they are around 6 cm at 3 months old.

Fish Monster

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Well I don't know what to ssay but I got my 55 gallon and stand and it come witha lot of extras I don't use but whatever it was like 4 yrs old the set up and I got it locally off cregs list for 60 bucks so you may want to try there for a larger tank. I noticed the aquaiums are not that expensive its the stands and optinal canopys that can get really pricey that's why I looked on cregs list.

I bought my 30 gallon as a kit for like 80 bucks but no stand the stand my father built me one for the 30 gallon but for a 55 gallon they are expensive I think the metal wrought iron ones or whatever they are are the cheapest wood is expensive so my cregs list deall was really good deal. You shuld be able to find a 55 gallon aquarium and stand on there locally for about 100 - 200$ that's not to bad I am trying to sell my 15 gallon tank for 50 - 40$ on there rite now if I can't sell it I am using it as a hossp/quarintee tank and being done with it but if I can get sme money for it guess what I am going to buy yup a discus fish lol

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads