Baby Danios!! What To Do?!

Jl1010joanne

Reaction score
Hi all,

So we took a 2 week vacation and during that time, we have come home to find 2 baby Danios. They are tiny. Can anyone please advise what we do? I want to try to keep them alive but don't have a spare tank with a filter.

Am I best to remove them and keep them in a separate tank? My separate tank doesn't have a filter but I can get one tomorrow (UK).

Thanks, Joanne

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes, I would remove them to the seperate tank. How big is it? I’d suggest a 10g for a grow out. I’d also move some of your used filter media into the new filter and keep an eye on the parameters.

Noroomforshoe

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You can get a breeder net and keep them in it. It will be healthier for the tiny hatchlings then an uncycle tank, you can feed them crushed flakes or first bites , a very small amount 3 times a day.

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You can get a breeder net and keep them in it. It will be healthier for the tiny hatchlings then an uncycle tank, you can feed them crushed flakes or first bites , a very small amount 3 times a day.
I disagree, breeding nets can cause stunting and if you move the cycled media over there really should not be much of a cycle if any at all. All that would be needed would be watching the parameters a bit for the first few days.

Bru

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'd recommend getting a cheap sponge filter for raising fry if you haven't got one already. Would be useful for any future fry raising too. Need a lil air pump for it to function but it will keep fry from being sucked up. Best of luck with your new additions!

Noroomforshoe

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
a seporate tank and filter would be best of corse. I do not recomend buting a gravid or pregnant fish into a net to have fry. but if you were to get a simple net box, The tiny fry should be ok for a while. Maybe you can try to get a seporate tank set up with a sponge filter in the mean time.
61l1jqfDdtL._SL1200_.jpg

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom