baby cory eggs have hatched

1. zigzagabout Initiate Member

Hey everyone, on bank holiday monday in UK my bronze cory eggs have hatched. There are about 32 of them and they are one week old tomorrow. They are very active and love their food. My worry is that I have them in a breeding net while I am setting up a brand new tank for them. Obviously I have to wait for the cycle to complete before I can start to transfer them, but I am worried that in this time will the babies upset the water balance of the tank they are in. 32 fish (if they all survive) is alot for any tank to cope with, any suggestions?

2. TrogdorSlayer22 Member Member

Hello! Welcome to FishLore!
    You might get more responses for your question if you were to make your own thread. So I would suggest you do that. Just go to the breeding sub-forum or corydoras sub-forum and click new thread at the top left.

Anyways congrats on the hatching!

3. Donnerjay Well Known Member Member

Hello again!

If the fry are in a breeding net, I THINK they should be just fine for a week or two. But what tank is the net in? If you could complete your aquarium information (go to top of page, click on "Forum Actions," then "Edit Profile.") that would help us help you.

If the net for example is in a 10 gallon community tank, you might be able to leave the fry in the net for a while and rehome the other fish into your newly cycled tank. That would ease stress on the fry of moving to another tank.

But I have never had the pleasure of raising cory fry, so I will wait with you for other replies to come!

4. zigzagabout Initiate Member

Hi thank you for your reply. The new tank won't be ready for weeks yet, so I am hoping for advice on whether the babies will upset the water balance in my well established 180 litre tank. Also can anyone reassure me that my new set up is going right (it's been years since I have had to start from new) I have put a filtre sponge from my other tank plus an ornament and some gravel to help get the good bacteria going in the new one, I have also put in the filtre start solution. The tank has only been set up a couple of days but it is starting to cloud up, is this normal and will it sort itself out? I have high readings of ph and nitrite and nitrate so anyone with advice please. Should I be doing anything else or should I leave alone to let it get on with it.

5. daz Member Member

If you have a large enough filter you could try and use some of your current filter media to try and get an instant cycle on the new tank.

Congrats on baby corys :)

6. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to FishLore!
    Congrats on the babies!
    Carol

7. kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

What's important isn't the number of fish, but the bioload on the bacteria. A tiny baby fish doesn't produce a lot of waste, so I wouldn't be too worried :) You could also try TSS to cycle your tank right away, if you don't have enough filter media to spare.

8. kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

When you say "filter start solution," do you mean bottled bacteria, like Tetra SafeStart? (I'm not sure what brands are available in the UK.) If so, I've heard that water tests will be unreliable while your tank is still cycling due to the TSS. I've never used it though, so maybe someone else can comment. If you have high readings of nitrite, unfortunately your tank is not cycled yet. :( What kind of test are you using - strips or liquid? The strip tests are pretty unreliable, so I would suggest getting a liquid test kit like the API master test kit. Then you can also test for ammonia, which is more toxic to fish than nitrate, so definitely important to test.

You should ask these questions in your other thread too, so others can comment on them :)

9. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

........no aquarium information.

How long has the main tank been cycled?
    If it's well established you can take a peice of used filter media to cycle the new tank.

Congrats on the fry.
    Cory babies are adorable!

Edit:
    Threads merged. Duplicate post deleted

10. zigzagabout Initiate Member

Thanks for all your replys, yes I have put in a sponge filtre and an ornament plus some gravel from my established tank (been going for years) to my new set up, but the water has gone slightly cloudy now - is this normal? I have high readings of PH and Nitrite and also Nitrates, it has been so many years since I have had to start from the beginning I can't remember if this is right or wrong. Anyone have any idea how long it will take to cycle with a kickstart from bacteria from other tank? Also do I need to also put in the filtre start solution to help the bacteria along? Should I be doing any part water changes to clear the cloudyness, 10% or just leave it? Sorry for all the questions, you wouldn't think I have kept fish for the last 15 years, but like I said I haven't had to start from beginning for a very long time.

11. Donnerjay Well Known Member Member

Looks like my post is missing (LUCY!!),
    But anyway, I also asked about your aquarium information and your tank size. If you could please update it, that would help us help you.

Right now, yes, you need to do a partial water change to clear your tank of nitrites and reduce the nitrates. What is the size of your tank? What are your ammonia readings? What are you using to test your water? Even if you do know about the nitrogen cycle, it wouldn't hurt to brush up on it. Click on the words, nitrogen cycle, in this post and the link will take you to the article.

Also, where is the breeder net located (tank)? Sorry for all the questions, but your answers will help us give you the best advice possible for your new cory babies.

Cheers! :)

12. zigzagabout Initiate Member

Hi, my main tank size is 180 litres, and has been established for many years. The breeder net is in this tank and they are all doing well (one week old today).

My new tank has only been set up for 3 days now, it is 125 litres. I did a 10% water change yesterday but it hasn't made any difference to my readings which are
    PH 8.2 nitrate is 80 nitrite is 5.0. I haven't done an ammonia test yet as my fish shop didn't have the test kit in stock. I am using API test kits.
    Should I do another 10% water change today or do one every other day? Is 10% enough?

13. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

:animal0068:Some posts have been added that were in another members thread. It will less confusing to other members and prevent hijacking another members thread.

Thanks! Welcome to Fish Lore! I hope you enjoy the site.

Ken

14. zigzagabout Initiate Member

Well I just got homw from work and looked at the new tank, and it doesn't seem quite as cloudy now. I have done more tests, PH is now 8.0 Nitite is still 5.0 but the nitrate has gone down to 20
    I will do another water change and retest in the morning.

15. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

:;dk Look up.....your post is #3.
    The only post deleted was the OP's duplicate. :)

16. Donnerjay Well Known Member Member

LOL Lucy thanks. Can't see the forest for the trees sometimes!

17. zigzagabout Initiate Member

OK so day 4 after set up of new tank and my readings are PH 8.0 Nitrite 1.0 Nitrate 20 Ammonia 0

I have no idea if this is good or bad, I have now done 2 part water changes of 10% will do another one tonight.

My baby corys are doing well, loving their food, and I feel happier now that I have found a way to keep their little breeding net very clean while they are in there. It is such a simple idea but works wonderfully for cleaning any old food from the net. I use a pippette ( you know the ones that come with some fish solutions) brilliant.

If I keep doing a water change will this reduce the PH level?

18. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

Nitrite is toxic to fish do a water change.

Water chnages wont lower your ph anyways You dont need to lower the ph thats perfect.

19. jbdub Member Member

Congrats on the cory fry! If you want to reduce the PH try using Bogwood(LFS will have it), my PH in both tanks has always been around 7 so I just assume its working.

20. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member