Baby cories

Discussion in 'Corydoras' started by heather84, Mar 19, 2010.

1. h

heather84 Valued Member Member

We purchased 3 baby cory cats today.......2 albino and 1 green bronze

The pet store seems to give me diffrent information each time I ask it. In the begining they told me to feed my regular fish twice a day and my plecos at night...I did that then they told me to only feed my regular fish ONCE a day and plecos at night......which ive been doing for several months and they seem fine.

Today when we bought the babies I asked about how and when to feed them, and they gave me a lecture about only feeding my fish once a day.

What should I feed these baby corys? And when should I feed them?

Currently I feed my regular fish flake food and a occasional weekly snack of shrimp. I feed my plecos algae waffers at night.

The pet store said I should feed the baby cory cats the shrimp pellets twice a day at the same time i feed my other fish...well If i even open the can of shrimp near my tank my other fish start going nuts! I tried it earlier and the other fish ran over the babies i dont think the babies got any!

Suggestions would be helpful........also if anyone knows a site about baby cories i would appreciate that also

I took pictures, hopefully they are good enough to see and i will post them later

2. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

everyone seems to have a preference on feedings....none are wrong im sure and each will be what works for your fish :)

I feed mine 2 times a day....they get a combo of homeade foods, flakes, frozen thawed bloodworms/brine shrimp, etc...all depends on the fish.....I can say that plecos are in a tank to get algae or they dont belong in there...they need an occasional veggie as in a cucumber or zucchini etc once a week, but if you have no algae, the wafers are good a few times a week....they shouldnt be fed a wafer every day IMO ....nor should they be in a tank if you dont have algae...once you feed a plec daily, they dont do the job...as far as your cories, mine do get the sinking shrimp pellets twice a day....they sink pretty fast and my other fish pick on a few, but the cories get most of it.....cories are awesome and so darn cute but I would stop listening to your pet store...they seem to tell you whatever they feel is right at the moment...not necessarily whats right for your and your fish ...but thats normal for most pet stores...good luck and cant wait to see pics!

3. Treefork

Treefork Well Known Member Member

Drops some pellets in after you turn the lights off. The cories will find them.

4. OP
    OP
    h

Thanks for the info so far........

I have 2 plecos........I often wonder if i dont have a male and a female. The one is so much bigger than the other and we got them at the same time and they were the same size.

I am including a picture of them (the plecos) just for the heck of it

So far I only managed to get 1 good picture of the babies. The albinos blend in with our gravel

The green baby cory is to the right of the bigger one (and excuse our dirty tank tomorrow is cleaning day)

425.jpg

426.jpg

5. Shawnie

they are cute lil buggers!!!!!!
    what size tank do you have to have to common plecs?

6. OP
    OP
    h

Im scared to answer that lol......I know its not the size tank people will want me to have but my fish are healthy and doing good, and when they get bigger so will there tank...........its a 30 gallon long

7. REDKAHUNA

REDKAHUNA Valued Member Member

I have 2 common plecos over 20 inches long for my pond in summer. They just get bigger they winter in a 100 then a 4,000 plus pond for summer.

8. Shawnie

dont be scared :) allot of us have been there ...but with your new babies, which again are adorable, its going to take up their space as well as keep the water icky for them...unless you plan on daily changes...plecos waste, even as small juvies, is too much in that size tank as you know and 2 will overdue it...but its your tank and you know whats best :)

9. OP
    OP
    h

the baby corys will eat the algae waffer wont they? my big ones do or maybe they wont until they are bigger? Im so worried about them getting food being so small!

I really hope i can get a picture later.......my baby green bronze keeps getting on the back of my full grown bronze one and just laying there! Its the funniest cutest thing ever. Of course when the big one goes to take off the little one falls off lol but he doesnt seem to mind

10. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

You have some beautiful fish Heather! :)

My Cory Cat's have learned to forage all over the tank come feeding time and not just on the bottom. I have large fish in my 265g and it's rare that food makes it to the bottom. They capture food particles from what the larger fish have expelled through their gills, or what the larger fish spit out and it's all broken into pieces, floating all over the tank. I do drop sinking shrimp pellets in for them but...be careful with some shrimp pellets if you have invertebrates as they may contain some copper.

I have 1 9" Common Pleco. He's a big boy. I feed him algae waffers, sometimes he gets them sometimes he doesn't. So I also feed him sliced zucchini and he loves it. Once my tank lights come on he's in the same spot every morning waiting for zucchini. I don't have major algae issues (at least not the hairy kind) so I tend to feed him zucchini just about every day. I may skip a day here and there. I feed my Silver Dollars Romaine lettuce and I even see the Pleco on it at times too. Cucumber is another good veggie for him.

I think as long as some food particles are floating around your tank (and they will be) your fish will not go hungry. However, should you see a weight loss then you may want to consider spot feeding them placing the food directly in front of them. However, I don't recall this really ever being an issue with anyone.

I feed my fish once a day.

Best of luck!
    Ken

11. a

acea091489 Valued Member Member

The little cories are adorable.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice