Baby bunny- caught by cat

potatos

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
HI,

My cat caught a baby bunny three times yesterday, two of the times I know it was the same bunny. Every time I charged after my cat so quickly it dropped the bunny and the both ran off. the last time I caught the rabbit so I could insect it for injury. It has a small wound on its back, but only skin deep. IT has teeth. I put an antibiotic ointment on the wound, put the bunny in the large box my 30gal aquarium came with, made a nest out of rags, gave him a dish of water and a dish of shredded carrots, sweet potato, and lettuce. He is about 4 inches long when hunched up, has a full coat of hair, can run, and has open eyes.

I do not paln on keeping him, but I know if he is relaesed right now, he will be caught and killed by my cat. I plan to watch him over the next couple days and see that he is ok and strong enough to relase.

He will not eat or drink, understandably, as I am sure he is extreamly stressed out. He seemed somewhat dehidrated, because when I pinched some skin, it did not snap back, but reatined its tent like shape, but not that bad. I do not think he has eaten or drunk since yesterday, so I used a small sysring and slowly edged some water into his mouth, which he swallowed.

He is very tired or stressed, as he will not move much, and just sits in my arms and will not run away. this is why I amn not immediatly putting him outside, as I am sure a predator (hawk or cat) will snatch him up quickly.

any input would be appreciated.
thanks

Aquagirl1978

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Let him go in a quiet out of the way place. He is probably more stressed being in your home than anything. I have raised two litters of domestic rabbits and have saved about 4 wild rabbit babies. They eat and drink at night because that's when the mother feeds them to avoid predators coming to the nest. Take out the lettuce if it is iceberg for it will give him diarrhea and put a spoonful of yogurt in with him. Heer will not move and will go in to shock if you keep him much longer. Shock can kill wil baby bunnies quite easily. The water is fine but it has to be in a shallow almost lid type container for rabbits sip using their teeth to more or less spoon up the water. But my best advice is keeping him anywhere over 24 hours will be too much for him and at this point if you can find a quiet place to put him he will be better off.

potatos

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Ok, I will relaese him tomorrow farther away from my house, change his food to exclude lettuce, give him yogurt, and put his water into a shallow dish. Thanks.

Aquagirl1978

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
you are welcome

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads