Baby bristles

Discussion in 'Pleco - Plecostomus' started by mexi1228, Jul 30, 2015.

1. m

mexi1228 Valued Member Member

I have a long fin chocolate and an albino bristle nose that seem to pop out baby's every month.. I've caught about twenty and need suggestions on how to catch more so the other fish stop feeding on them... My wife says I look crazy chasing them down when I first turn the light on in the morning... Any one have any tips?

2. Bluestreakfl

Bluestreakfl Well Known Member Member

Put some kind of container in the tank, like a bottle, tupperware etc and drop some zucchini or cucumber in it. Once theyre inside, gently lift it out.

3. OP
    OP
    m

Will do..

4. Bluestreakfl

I guess I should elaborate a little, you basically use the cucumber or zucchini to lure them, and then you slowly remove the container and if all goes well they won't have a clue. Something with a smaller opening works best, like a glass milk jar, so that you can cover it with your hand when removing it to keep them from escaping. I've heard of folks using this same method to transfer larger Plecos that are too big to safely net as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. OP
    OP
    m

I realized that as well when I used a 4" Tupperware and they scattered when I started lifting... Very interesting thing to see 20 plus babies shoot off in all directions.. Thank you for the info

6. Bluestreakfl

Sure thing, hope it works well for you. Its alot easier than trying to net them, plus you dont have to worry about accidentally hurting them. And by the way, because I forgot to say before, WELCOME TO FISH LORE!!!! :;hi1

7. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to fishlore!
    I hope you enjoy the forum.

8. OP
    OP
    m

Thank you for the welcome.. Actually caught 15 this morning

Any tips on how to sell the babies

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2015
  9. Bluestreakfl

You could try checking at some of your local fish stores to see if theyll buy them, try craigslist as well maybe.

10. OP
    OP
    m

Tries the locals they don't want them unless they're 1-1.5" have six that they'll consider 25 more that under .75".

11. OP
    OP
    m

Baby Choco..[​IMG]
    He's been eluding my attempts at capture

12. L

Leafray Valued Member Member

I put five BN plecos into my pond in hopes of letting them grow faster in hopes of getting them to breeding size.... I drained the pond because of a leak.... Only found one surviving German red BN pleco.... Anyways, I always feed my BN fry spirulina flakes inside of a water bottle... The fry tend to try to swim inside... Same idea as the zucchini :)

Currently breeding: h/b purple guppies

13. OP
    OP
    m

I unintentionally fell into breeding plecos.. I have. A choc long fin male and albino choc bushy nose the fry are so diverse in appearance.. This guy has to be from the first set of hatchlings because he is over an inch long.. Def will try the water bottle

14. L

That's great! Spent FORTEY dollars on 5 German reds... All but one died... But I still have my albinos.... I just love BNs

15. OP
    OP
    m

My wife loves guppies... Also have a tuxedo platy and a Mickey Mouse female. That are breeding too

16. L

I got into guppies accidentally.. Got five guppies... Now I have hundreds of guppies :D

17. L

What strain do you want? I could refer you to a breeder? If so I'll pm you

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2015
  18. OP
    OP
    m

The purple or blue are my wife's fav.. If you could refer to a local that would be awesome.. Don't think our store has them

19. L

Ok, I'm sorry I'm advance, but I cannot pm you so I'll hafts put it here...
    Well currently I have black/ blue snakeskins, and my own line of purple moscows that at growing into gorgeous guppies. The breeder I'm referring to lives in mn and ships for 12$, he usually sells pairs for 20, and trios for 25$... Not sure though but here is his contact info if you would like to contact him, he also sells Angels, discus and BN plecos, the guppies are a bit pricey only because it's not the " pet store guppies " they are imported from Thailand.
    Email:  
    Phone number: 612-327-4355
    Again I AM NOT the breeder but I was just very surprised with the quality of his fish... :)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2015
  20. OP
    OP
    m

[​IMG]
    This guy is my largest fry... About 4 mo old. Mom is albino choc. Dad is a long fin choc and these guys are yellow

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice