baby bristlenose pleco question

1. k9z3boys Member Member

My husband has been wanting a bristlenose pleco for a few weeks, the only ones around here are albinos- I don't care for the albinos but he says its ok...so he finally got his today. It is a very tiny baby! 2cm we have wood and a pot for him to hide, along with live and fake plants. Originally we had planned to put him in the 60g community but due to his size, and concern he may get lost, we put him in the 10g guppy tank.... that lasted about 30 sec as the meanie head guppies were nipping and pestering him! concerned for his safety, we pulled him out. So for now he is in the 15g tank with 6 danios and the rubberlip pleco. I know plecos can be territorial and i'm not sure 2 plecos in a tank is a good solution. im eager to move him to the 60 as soon as I can.
    how fast will he grow ( we are just guessing on gender.... way too small to tell yet)?
    at what point can he safely move to the 60g?
    60 is stocked with
    10 danios
    5 platys
    5 cories ( 2 albino 2 pepper one possibly emerald)
    1 gourami
    3 frogs

I doubt the cory's will bother him, so far the other danios could care less
    unsure about the others....
    mildly concerned about the rubberlip ( aka the mynock)

thanks

2. NCE12940 Well Known Member Member

I have some about that size but luckily more than one so they're all in a 10g until they grow. I've had them almost a week and I can't say they've noticeably grown any. How big is the rubberlip pleco and do you know if the sex? I had a young male BN (2-1/2") in the 10g when I had got these babies and he started chasing them, so he went back to the 45g with a 3-1/2 male BN who chases HIM!! They are so tiny at this stage that if you put it in the 60g tank you might never see it. One of my babies vanished (obviously died) and I never saw it to know what happened. I'd be afraid of that happening in your 60g. Maybe you could move the rubberlip out of the 15g?

3. old hippy Member Member

Hi and congratulations on the new "guy". I bought a super red bristlenose about two weeks ago and he shipped to me at about the same size as your baby. In 13 days he has grown about 1/2 inch in length and has added volume as well, so I expect if you want to wait you should see size increase pretty quickly.

If you don't have algae where he is you'll need to feed algae tabs or little slices of fresh zucchini (wash thoroughly)or buy organic farmed types.

I can't comment on the compatibility with the rubberlip, but suggest plenty of hiding places and perhaps two different driftwood locations.

Good luck- you'll love your little guy!

4. k9z3boys Member Member

eyeballing the rubberlip ( mynock) maybe 2- 2 1/2 inches. im reasonably certain he is male as he's wide at the shoulder and narrow at the hip. we have only had him 2 wks.
    the mynock is so shy so far he hasn't seemed to notice.... but this same mynock ate the ghost shrimp and wont touch the zucchini...or algae pellets.
    yes I am very concerned about not being able to locate him- or going and hiding- and not seeing him again.

5. ricmcc Well Known Member Member

I think that until he grows out a bit, and it might take awhile, the first tank he was in might be best for him.
    The potential for harm coming to him ( I chose the gender arbitrarily, obviously) from guppy is far less than that posed by other plec.
    They are really quite sturdy creatures, BN, and, btw, I prefer the natural colour as well:)--rick
    Also, at 2" inches, one might say almost half grown, btw--much like half a glass of something or other:)

6. 77Impala Well Known Member Member

In my opinion get him up to one inch then move him to your 60 gallon tank. Are you going to supplement his food with algae wafers? That should help him grow a bit.

7. k9z3boys Member Member

yes algae wafers-if he will eat them. we are also growing our own algae to supplement. he found mynocks drift wood....