Baby Birds!! Important

Discussion in 'Our Other Interests' started by Mary765, Apr 19, 2018.

1. Mary765

Mary765 Well Known Member Member

Guys. Gals. Friends. Amigos. I have important news.

You can touch baby birds without scaring off the mother. I repeat; you can touch baby birds without scaring off the mother! The mother cannot "smell your scent" on her hatchlings and she won't be too fussed that you are near her nest.

See a baby bird on the ground? Try to put it back in its nest if it looks too young. Or if there is no nest in sight you can raise it for a few days indoors in the warmth whilst you search for the nest then put the baby back again.

Obviously don't cause a big scene with lots of noise and daily visits to the nest, because then the mother may get too frightened to return. But if you can please help any struggling hatchlings on the ground! We need to end the lies surrounding the little guys.

Ok thanks for listening I just had to get this off my chest and into the world.

Bye :D

2. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

Oh, this reminds me of when a baby dove hatchling fell from a 25 foot tree, out of it's nest!
    We tried so hard to get it back up there, and we eventually did get it back in, but it fell back out again, and it died the next day :(

3. OP
    OP
    Mary765

Oh no! That's so tragic :(

4. dinosaur act

dinosaur act Valued Member Member

Some times it better not to intervene. Birds will drop unhealthy/ill nestling out of thier nest in an attempt to save the other chicks.

Also if fledgling are seen on the ground they are most likely ready to fly and should not be moved unless in danger; from cats, cars, ect.

Poping a link here from rspca. It's 'chart' on when it's okay to help young birds.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  5. OP
    OP
    Mary765

As I said, obviously act within reason. I'm just saying all those times you were told as a child not to touch baby birds because the mother bird will abandon it isn't true :)

That is a good link though

6. dinosaur act

dinosaur act Valued Member Member

Didn't want people going around putting ill birds back in nest is all, hence the link.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice