Baby Betta Question

1. babiimoore

babiimoore Valued Member Member

i would love to get a baby boy betta, i think it would be awesome to watch him grow up, but i really would only want to do this if it is a true male. i fell in love with one the other day, and i would love to go back tomorrow and pick him up if hes still there. but did notice an egg spot, i have read males might display this as well. ive also read theyre kind of hard to sex as juveniles. is there any signs that will tell if its a male or female? also, are you able to tell what tail type theyll have? IMG_0595.jpg

2. Demeter

Demeter Well Known Member Member

Most of the baby bettas are VT, notice the spiked edges and relatively long anal fin, these both point to VT. A HM will have straight edges, a CT will have very noticeably extended rays. It is a fair bit harder to sex w/o having the ventral fins extended and you can't see the vent too well.

Based on just the body shape, you want to look for a fish with a kinda larger head and more streamline body. Females will be fatter up front with relatively smaller heads, plus the egg spot. Also look at the pelvic fins, longer and relatively fuller fins are usually male.

This is a baby "girl" I bought a while back. See how the head is kinda large in comparison to the body? He's also pretty stream line in body. This one is actually a male.
    White in cup.JPG

This was the baby "boy" I bought at the same time, knew it was a female at first glance though. Prominent egg spot, smaller head, short pelvic fins. Another thing you can look for are the ovaries, which will looks like a white/pale triangle within the fish in the belly area. Only really shows in lighter colored fish with good lighting.
    DT in cup.JPG
    DT 5-8-17.JPG

It's really a toss up on what gender you get. You have to be very good at seeing details, but even then it is easy to get it wrong. I'd guess the one you have your eye on is a male VT based on the head of the fish and the relatively long tail fin with spiked edges.

3. OP
    OP
    babiimoore

thank you, that told me everything i needed to know. ill probably go see if he’s still there then

i doubt there is, but is there anyway to tell what color he’ll turn out? IMG_0635.jpg

4. Demeter

Demeter Well Known Member Member

I'd guess red with perhaps some blue high lights. Red is a very dominant/common color in bettas.

5. oodelally

oodelally Valued Member Member

Do you have updated pics? I’ve been thinking about getting a baby since I say them at the store for the first time.

6. OP
    OP
    babiimoore

he still looks exactly the same. might be a female, idk. wanted a male but it is what it is.

7. B

BriBango New Member Member

These stores need to sex bettas correctly. What if someone tries to start a soriety and ends up with males and females.. can't trust pet stores makes me so sad... bettas really get it the worst

8. OP
    OP
    babiimoore

yeah, its really hard to sex baby bettas so they should label it as a juvenile instead of just guessing if its female or male.

9. david1978

david1978 Fishlore VIP Member

eh you just use a big tank then you dont have to worry if they are male or female. Lol

10. OP
    OP
    babiimoore

do you have any experience with this? ive always been interested. i have a couple friendly bettas that would make for an awesome tank. also have a couple really aggressive ones too tho.

11. david1978

I currently have 3 males and 13 females in a 75 gallon tank. Its been up and running two and a half years now and i have been adding and subtracting them. Pics on my media page. I feel its possible if the tank is set up properly taking into account the needs of the bettas and stocking around them.

12. OP
    OP
    babiimoore

i would love to hear more about it. i have a 55 gallon ive been trying to figure out what to do with. is this big enough in your opinion?

13. david1978

A regular 4 foot long 55 should be able to have a similar stocking. It has 3 tall castles and lots of tall fake plants to break up lines of site.

14. OP
    OP
    babiimoore

i have a pond full of plants so i would be able to heavily plant no problem. do you ever see them fight? what have you noticed behavior wise?

15. david1978

Every now and then one will chase another for 6-8 inches. I had one get a bite out of its tail but never figured out who did it. I did go pretty conservative with tank mates going with glowlight tetras and emerald green cories so the other fish wouldn't get aggressive toward them.

16. OP
    OP
    babiimoore

is there any problems between the males? do you get a lot of nests of eggs?

you think this would be impossible with an angelfish? (long shot)

17. david1978

The males just seem to stay in their in own areas exept at feeding times. So far i have had one betta born in the tank. Wasnt trying to breed them so i never helped trying to save eggs. I have enough surface agitation bubble nests dont hold together very well. The angelfish addition i have thought about but between the size difference and the fact angelfish can and will chase another fish all the way across the tank vs the bettas chasing 6-8 inches i wasnt brave enough to try it. I have other tanks but really dont want to set another one up at the moment if it doesn't work so i have talked myself out of trying it. As well as german rams, a rainbow shark and a lot of other fish.

18. OP
    OP
    babiimoore

oh okay so they make territories? do you notice that with the females as well? why is it they only chase 6-8 inches?

19. david1978

The girls dont have territories like the males. Im not sure why they chase only a short distance it could be that they lose interest or swimming threw things it breaks the line of sight and they give up.

20. OP
    OP
    babiimoore

how did you introduce them? you said youve been adding and subtracting?

sorry so many questions