Baby Betta

ledlight

Reaction score
This is my baby betta (supposedly male). I have had him for about 2 weeks. I made this post to show pictures of him, but also to see if anyone could tell what he will look like when he gets bigger. And by that I mean tail type and color.(if possible). Also is it possible to tell if he is actually a male yet? Also in the pictures you can't see but his ventral fins go way farther down then his analfins. Its just really hard to see his ventrals in the pictures. This leads me to believe he could be a plakat or maybe a female? Also is it possible to tell the age? I tried getting a picture of him next to the ruler but he just wont stay still lol.

Edit: I just realized on the ruler it counts by half an inch so from 2 to 3 is only 1/2 of an inch and so on if that makes sense.

Attachments

Niigaanii L

Valued Member
Reaction score
I'd probably expect the red fins and white/silver body to stay. And from the looks of it- maybe a roundtail? it could also just be a female, in that case the fins arent gonna get bigger relative to how the rest of them grows. If the fins seem to be getting disproportionately larger over time, or maybe seem to grow faster than the body you've got a male (duh) . Id rule out crowntail or suntail though. It's just a matter of waiting really

(Also: here's a male roundtail I pulled off Google for reference)

Attachments

ledlight

Reaction score
Thank you for the help. I was hoping it would be a shorter finned betta so this is good news to me. Also it used to be all white, but very recently the fins turned red. The fins seem to have grown maybe a tiny tiny bit in comparison to the rest of the fish so I guess I will have to see what happens in the next few weeks. I am hoping short tailed male, but I wont mind a female either.

Niigaanii L

Valued Member
Reaction score
No problem! Considering how young they are I'd take alot of what I said with a grain of salt, mainly the coloration. They could go anywhere from just red fins to being completely red or whatever other color. Once color develops just a little more you should have a better idea of their coloration

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom