Baby Betta Sorority

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by CurneenTank, Apr 11, 2017.

1. CurneenTankNew MemberMember

Hi!

I was doing some research into creating a betta soritiy in a few months and was wondering if starting with baby bettas is a good idea?
    I have read a lot of mixed opinions online but most say it's okay.

Thanks guys!

2. Demeter

DemeterFishlore VIPMember

I would not go with the super tiny baby bettas as there is a good chance of at least one of them being a male, which is not good at all. If you are 100% sure they are all females then go for it. Get girls that are all about the same size, be it older or younger fish, and you should be good.

3. OP
    OP
    C

CurneenTankNew MemberMember

Perfect! Are there any good tank mates for a betta sorority?

4. Lunnapr11

Lunnapr11Valued MemberMember

OMG! Definitely some girly pink snails! ;) - the eBay link doesn't work when I try to paste it here, just go to eBay and search item # 201818164840 (btw, I am not affiliated with or recommending this seller, haha, I just love pink!) I got some myself, fewer though, they should be here tomorrow!!!

Also, my Betta gets along with ghost shrimp... doesn't mean your girls won't snack on them! :p

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  5. Demeter

DemeterFishlore VIPMember

Some snail species will get attacked, my girls go after the rams horn and pond snails, I don't dare add any mystery snails as I'm sure their long tentacle-ish things will get bitten off. I dare not add small species of shrimp like cherries either, I'm pretty sure they will become snacks.

What size is the tank you plan on using and how many girls you plan on getting? I'd stick to bottom dwelling species. I keep kuhli loaches, MTS and a nerite snail with my girls. Once I upgrade they will have corydoras and a BN pleco as tank mates.

6. Lunnapr11

Lunnapr11Valued MemberMember

Oh wow! Thanks for letting us know @Demeter! I only had nerite with a male Betta in the past, I assumed incorrectly that rams horn would be OK :(

I got some of these pink rams for my tropical 36g, I'll make sure to avoid the Betta tank ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice