Baby Betta Progress Log

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I think I should set up a checking account first :/ Still relatively new to the whole "adult world" where everything is paid with a card.

Vitya's eye deflated over night, looks pretty normal. I'm going to do a water change to hopefully prevent infection.
Vitya's eye1.JPG
Vitya's eye2.JPG

ap4lmtree

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
What do you think is the cure that fixed his eye?

Mushishi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yay! I'm super glad he's doing better!! My female just finally recovered from her first attempt at breeding. I wish they could meet up! She has malfmoon metallic teal eyes with the rest black. They'd make cute kids

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
ap4lmtree said:
What do you think is the cure that fixed his eye?
I think it was a fluid filled pocket that finally ruptured. Much like a cyst, I would imagine. He's acting fine and ate his frozen brine shrimp. There is no redness or anything but a tiny bump. Hopefully it doesn't fill back up with fluid.

Mushishi said:
Yay! I'm super glad he's doing better!! My female just finally recovered from her first attempt at breeding. I wish they could meet up! She has malfmoon metallic teal eyes with the rest black. They'd make cute kids
Speaking of breeding, after many attempts at getting fry to the free swimming stage I finally got my first batch going. They became free swimming today There isn't as many as I've had before, a couple dozen at most. I think dad ate a lot of the eggs.

The proud father, who has a major marble gene. He used to be nearly all white.
IMG_1725.JPG

Mushishi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
That's so cool. I want to breed mine so badly but the process literally terrifies me. I don't want my baby girl to die. And I currently own only one male and he's a red dragon plakat. He's not the best bubble nest builder either and it seems now that his first two popped, he doesn't want to make another. My LFS doesn't get too many females, and most of the males are $30+. I have a female dalmatian molly with my female betta though so that may affect breeding. But I'd feel bad taking her only friend away.

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Not too sure how the molly will effect anything. The process isnt all that hard so long as both fish are ready and willing. It’s getting the fry to free swimming that makes me nervous.

I’m going to continue updates here for the fry. These are real babies rather than the juveniles from petco!

2 weeks old, I‘ve counted up to 14 so far.
F1268FB0-62FC-45FD-9C23-F333FB42B198.jpeg
DCBC159D-F35E-4357-A338-3A5C07BFFC19.jpeg

Mushishi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
OMG!!!
I want my bettas to like one another so bad. Finding a breeding female out here is difficult. Horrible walmart/petsmart of course, otherwise my LFS has juveniles and even those are rare...

ChrisX

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
ChrisX said:
What are you feeding them??? They need fry food. Preferably freshly hatched baby brine shrimp. Or at the very least Hikari First Bites.
Not my first rodeo with tiny fry. They are being fed micro worms and baby brine shrimp. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't bother going after Hikari first bites.

Mushishi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I need cultures before spawning. I had my livebearers just recently explode and I have stuffed the tank with all sorts of things from some old fake plants I had to spawning mops I quickly whipped up to give them ample hiding spaces. I had nothing to feed the surprise babies so I took a bit of every food I own and crushed it up and they go crazy at feeding time lol. I notice some things they spit out, but having over 8 different foods in there, I don't know which ones they dislike, but the shrimp don't mind the excess food

Anyone have a good source for starting vinegar eel cultures? Or how did you start your microworm culture?

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It's been a while so here are the updates on my betta fry.

These are the runts and medium sized fry.
IMG_2225.JPG

Some of them are showing nice color, others not so much... The largest ones are about as big as you would find the "baby bettas" sold at petco. I've jarred 5 of them so far and they've taken to eating micro pellets, frozen brine shrimp and daphnia.

This is by far the best looking of the bunch as of yet.
IMG_2342.JPG

This one, not so much.
IMG_2351.JPG

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Another update! Decided to try getting the boys to flare for me, looking good. It's nearly time to decide who I want to keep and more importantly, do I need to set up another tank for them?

Note that these guys are about 1-1.5 inches long.
Plakat brothers 1-29-18.JPG

Plakat Mfry A 1-29-18.JPG
Plakat Mfry B 1-29-18.JPG

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The largest fry are doing great. Pretty sure there are 4 males now. The two that are in breeder baskets, one looks like a male but pretends to be a female and then one that is just now starting to show male characteristics. Said betta is pictured here. Note the white tips on pelvic fins, slight beard, and more robust and compact body. This guy just does't look like a female to me.
IMG_2513.JPG

Maybe male betta fry 2-23-18.JPG

A family photo, note the big blue girl who was the baby from the first post. The two bettas in cups are just being added today. Let's hope their month long quarantine was enough.
IMG_2504.JPG

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Pelvic fins are getting longer and he's filling out a bit.
IMG_2737.JPG
IMG_2762.JPG

The other brother that hasn't been placed in a breeder basket
IMG_2745.JPG

One of the females
IMG_2755.JPG

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Might as well add the new girls I bought 2 weeks ago on.

Little copper halfmoon that's the same size as the other juveniles.
Coper HM female 3-10-18.JPG

Slightly bigger white halfmoon that seems to be marbled, she had dark patches here and there when I got her and now she's just starting to get some red in her fins. Should be an interesting color development.
white HM female 3-10-18.JPG
IMG_2699[1].JPG

Size comparison between my 3 year old female and the new girl.
IMG_2750.JPG

KakeHugs

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
They all look so cute! Who was the mama?
And how is Vitya?

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Mama is a plakat and all the females look just like her. She's nothing special, no specific fin type nor coloration, about as close to "wild" as you can get. She has a bad attitude and can't go in the sorority.

Vitya is doing alright, no further problems with his eye but his fins are less than perfect. Despite great water quality and frequent feedings, they just don't seem in the best shape. Not necessarily fin rot but more like fin melt? I'll try remembering to get some picture tomorrow.

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Here's Vitya with his ugly tail...
Vitya 3-15-18.JPG

I would also like to announce that both male fry that are in the breeder baskets have started making bubble nests I will also say that tomorrow I'm trading in a few of them, at least one male and a couple females, it's time to whittle down the ones I want to keep.

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I took in one of the red and this is the red I still have.
Red plakat flare.JPG

The boy I put in the empty basket is starting t o act like a boy. He's blowing nest like a champ and flares really well. Not sure why his lips are white, perhaps he's still developing color.
white lip flare.JPG
white lip plakat.JPG

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I think there could be 2 more males, we'll see in a couple more weeks though. I've got some more flaring pictures and I think dad's doubt tail gene really did make their dorsal fins super full.
IMG_2906.JPG

IMG_2898.JPG
IMG_2904.JPG

Look at their cute little bubble nests! They're actually pretty good at it for amateurs. Ignore the oily surface stuff, this was before a water change and basket rinse.
IMG_2869.JPG
IMG_2870.JPG

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom