Baby Betta Progress Log - Page 2

Demeter

Older batch of fry! I just moved them over to another planted 10gal and they’re loving it. There’s only 10 survivors of this batch, three of which are runty so they’re with the younger spawn. Eating pellets, brine shrimp and daphnia.

There’s one for sure male so far, any guess as to which one it is?

No pics of the 2nd spawn, they don’t have good lighting nor do they sot still. 6 double tails, one looks runty and might not make it. There’s about 40 in all with 4 main colors. Blue, white/blue like the light ones above, “natural” like their dad was, and then a fleshy pale color that is just starting to get red in the fins. Daily 50% water changes and they’re started to eat crushed pellets.

Demeter

The younger babies are finally big enough to get pictures of. The darkest fry is a tiny runt from the older half-siblings.

Also another picture of their dad, I was switching tanks with him and his brother (back right corner) and let then flare a bit.

Side note: I culled 3 fry that either weren’t growing or had an odd body shape. I might go through and cull more in another few weeks. There’s a few small ones that have longer bodies that just look off. I feed them to my cichlids btw.

Fanatic

I like the boys!
It looks like it's going well, great job!

Demeter

I moved the babies around a bit. There’s 14 in a planted 10gal and then I counted around 38 that were placed in a plastic tote holding about 20gals.

Fun discovery, there’s 8 double tails whereas I though there were 6. Another discovery, the 2 white fry from the older batch are girls. Last discovery, I think their brother is marbling! Look at the light patch on his side.

ValerieAdams

Oh my goodness, they're so cute

Platylover

they are so pretty! I love the male from #52! Are you going to be selling them? What do you do with them all? There's so many! LOL Their dad is so beautiful and strong looking. I've always loved ht brown base with blue irid.

Demeter

Moved 5 of the largest babies to the sorority tank. They’re doing just fine so far.

Little double tail I expect to be a cambodian

My marble boy looking good. You can see 2 branching rays in his tail, so he should be a delta at the very least. I moved him to a split 10gal.

Demeter

Males, judging from behavior and lack of ovaries. The red finned one is a jerk.

Females, juding from the yellow triangle (ovaries) in their bellies.

Also, mom of the younger batch, so all the fry with damaged/no pelvic fins. I’m seeing some grizzling on some of her white fry.

Iverg1

Demeter said:
The younger babies are finally big enough to get pictures of. The darkest fry is a tiny runt from the older half-siblings.

Also another picture of their dad, I was switching tanks with him and his brother (back right corner) and let then flare a bit.

Side note: I culled 3 fry that either weren’t growing or had an odd body shape. I might go through and cull more in another few weeks. There’s a few small ones that have longer bodies that just look off. I feed them to my cichlids btw.
What floating plant is that in the picture with their dad? I see it everyone's aquriums?

Demeter

Iverg1

I'll have try it out where did you get it?

Demeter

I got it from my local pet store. They didn't even sell it to me, just scooped some up after I asked and that was that.

Demeter

Moved more fry around. Tossed a few of the largest ones in with the sorority girls and moved a few more up the the planted 10gal. So far out of the 8 double tails There are 3 females. One that I am for sure keeping is this cambodian.

Found another marbled fry. It was in the tote when I noticed one fry with a light patch on its back. That lighter patch quickly spread. Pretty sure its a female, you can see her insides pretty well.

I'm not seeing any more fry other than the male marble that have more than one split in their rays. A bit disappointing really. Oddly enough I feel like a lot of these fry may end up being plakats, especially the purple ones. Time will tell of course.

Demeter

You know how you try to get a picture of just one fish but all the other fish want to have their picture taken too? Yeah, that's what happened today. Ignore all the tiny specks of algae on the glass, its impossible to get rid of it.

One of the fry I moved to the 29gal sorority started to marble. I believe this one is a male and one I showed a few posts ago. He's the only one in focus

The 2nd fry to marble, pictures in the last update post has lost pretty much all her color except a patch on her head and a bit on her fins. She's pretty cute IMO.

This fry, the big white/blue grizzled one doesn't spread its fins out normally. Not sure what's up with that. Pretty fish though, looks like mom.

Some of the little ones in the sorority. They never hold still.

ValerieAdams

They are all so pretty! I'm jealous. Just wondering, what are you planning on doing with all of them?

Demeter

There's a VIPets about an hour away and they've taken my fish for store credit. Plus they keep their females bettas together in an actual tank. They'll be going there once I feel they are big enough. It will probably only be a handful at a time, I like to take my time and pick out who I want to keep for possible future spawns. I want to try for more double tails with a marble gene. Either that or mostly marbled bettas.

At the moment, most of the bettas are between the size of small female bettas you'd buy and the "baby bettas".

Demeter

First time I got this boy to flare! I used his younger half brother in the cup.

midna

Demeter said:
First time I got this boy to flare! I used his younger half brother in the cup.

omg he's so pretty!!!!!!

Demeter

Moved all but the runty DT to the ten gal tank. Found a for sure male who will be separated soon. No his eye is not cloudy, that is a reflection.

Also, the marbling female seems to be staying this color for now.

Demeter

Updated baby pictures. There’s a few more marbles as well. I jarred several males and they’re floating in the tote. Had a couple issues with some jumping out, one jumped into another’s cup and they fought. The loser was extremely beat up but is healing up just fine.

Took a closer look at the light colored fry. I believe there’s 2-3 males yet to be jarred but I’ll wait on that.

The fry in the sorority are doing great but have a few nipped fins. I suppose they should be called juveniles now.

Took a few pics of daddy again.

A few interesting fish.

Demeter

So I went on a picture taking adventure and snapped pictures of just about all the male fry, minus the ones in the sorority.

This male seems to be a plakat, strange thing is his fins have never extended properly. Seems fine otherwise.

I've got this ugly duckling that is just an odd one. Not sure what's going on with it

This lovely turquoise betta of the older batch, not sure of gender but looks female to me. She's a jerk and was removed from the sorority. Sadly a younger half bother jumped into her cup and got torn to bits. He should be fine though, he's eating and swimming around even if he looks half dead in the picture.

Then there's these two males. I don't like them. They just have poor form and fins, super low quality.

Demeter

Remember the male in the 7th pictures of the last post? This is him now

Then the other marbling betta, looking more white too

I thought I'd have a cambodian DT but all her red washed out. I'm thinking cellophane now.

And then the single male from the copper HM spawn. He's very dark but has an interesting light patch on the edge of his tail. His dorsal is a bit crinkly too but I may breed him to his half sister. She's the one that's been marbling and may end up looking much like him.

This male is probably a plakat. He's cute and reminds me of his grandpa when I first bought him. Curious to see if he turns all black/blue like him too.

ValerieAdams

You have some seriously stunning fish!

Demeter

That “female” who tore up the little male a few posts ago is now a for sure male. I think he’s marbling too.

The light male won’t hold still but he’s one I’m considering as a breeder for a blue/white grizzled line.

The other male held still and posed for once. Pretty with nice body form but his analfin could be fuller IMO. Almost ready to breed.

A plakat and brother to the one above.

midna

omg, I looooove the turquoise and black one!!! look at that big tail!!!

Demeter

The patchy one is a male but he hasn’t started acting like on and his marbling has not progressed anymore than this.

This one is mean but looks nice. She’s from the copper female spawn (the fish to the left btw).

The one fry with crinckled fins, he has a nice body but his fins aren’t the best.

ValerieAdams

Demeter said:
The patchy one is a male but he hasn’t started acting like on and his marbling has not progressed anymore than this.

This one is mean but looks nice. She’s from the copper female spawn (the fish to the left btw).

The one fry with crinckled fins, he has a nice body but his fins aren’t the best.
I love them all!

Demeter

More pictures of mostly females.

This is the probably the ugliest one of the bunch.
Before:

After marbling: he’s just got a terrible hunch back and stubby face. At least his color is ok. Note that he went back in the breeder net after the water change and pictures.

I tried to get pictures of the cellophane and blue grizzled double tail but they don’t hold still. May upload a video later.

WinterSoldier.

Are all your bettas plakats? And do all of them have the marbling gene?

Demeter

Dad and the grandma are normal plakat, grandpa is a HMPK double tail, and mom of 10 fry was a copper HM. Of those 10 I believe only one is plakat. 4 males in this batch.

The fry from the white/blue grizzled HM(?) are around 1/3 plakat or so it seems. 8 of the 40ish fry are double tails, 1 blue plakat male and 3 of the 7 females are marbling. I’ll try couting and giving color/fin type/gender count next time.

The long finned ones are mostly delta tails and I don’t think there are any HM.
Can’t say for sure they all have the marbling gene, I’d say 1/3 of them have marbled though.

Demeter

Short video

Demeter

Alright so I counted the 2 spawns and got some statistics.

Older spawn from the Copper HM female: 10 total
4 males: 3 delta long fin, 1 plakat, 1 delta long finned marbled (so far)
6 females: 2 white, 1 blue, 2 "natrual" and 1 piebald (colored body, flesh colored head)

Younger spawn from the blue grizzled HM female: ~37 total
19 males: 7 plakats (1 blue double tail, 2 marbled, 3 blue grizzled, 1 cellophane)
12 long finned (3 blue grizzled delta, 5 marbled delta, 4 blue delta)
16 Females: I cannot tell between plakats or not, they're all still young
7 double tails (3 marbled, 1 cellophane grizzled, 1 blue grizzled, 1 white w/ pink fins, 1 lavender)
2 white w/ pink fins
3 "natural"
3 lavender
1 marbled

Then there's a could "duds". Their insides appear to be male (no ovaries/eggs) but they have a funky body shape. I really should of culled these two but they're healthy atm.
1 white w/ pink fins and 1 cellophane with a few grizzled spots.

I culled maybe a dozen or so from the blue grizzled spawn when they were quite young, then accidentally killed a marbled delta tail during a water change.

100% sure the copper female had much better genetics. The body and fin form of all her young are better than the other female's spawn. But the grizzled spawn had a wider range of colors. I will be much more strict when culling for form next time. I don't mind if there are a bunch of natural colored fish, so long as they have good form I will raise them up.

ValerieAdams

I really love following this thread. It’s so interesting to me. I wish I could do something similar

Demeter

It’s really not that hard so long as you’ve got the time. Time is basically the most important thing. You need to be home to feed them 3-4 times and do at least one water change a day. Then you need the time to keep your live cultures going.

Once you’ve got the equipment you’ll have it forever till it breaks. I have lots of spare stuff. Improvising works too, mason jars, storage totes, large plastic dishes etc.

ValerieAdams

Demeter said:
It’s really not that hard so long as you’ve got the time. Time is basically the most important thing. You need to be home to feed them 3-4 times and do at least one water change a day. Then you need the time to keep your live cultures going.

Once you’ve got the equipment you’ll have it forever till it breaks. I have lots of spare stuff. Improvising works too, mason jars, storage totes, large plastic dishes etc.
Yeah, time is something I definitely don’t have. Maybe in the future though! Until then, I’ll just follow yours haha

Demeter

Took these last night

One plakat that I might keep.

This is the fellow who got tore up a while ago. All fins grew back, except the non-existent pelvic fins.

Demeter

Traded in 6 females along with a plethora of other fish and plan on calling back Wednesday morning to make sure they don't order any more so I can give them all the ones I don't plan on keeping. I'm hoping to pick out 1 more male to keep by then. Thinking I'll keep one of the marbled or grizzled plakats. So far I plan on keeping 8 females. I need to do a head count and then start planning on how to transport all the males.

Funny story, when I talked to the employee in charge of the fish about trading in my males he asked how mine looked. Me being the sassy woman I am said the first thing that came to mind, "better than yours!". All they had were some CT, lots of VT, and a couple "premium" halfmoons that clearly had been damaged during shipping. I showed him pictures and he was extremely interested in the long finned white/blue grizzled male and my lovely black and turquoise delta tail (which I will be keeping but he doesn't know that).

I'll snap some pictures in a few. Been trying to get a decent angle on the marbled double tail girls but it's not easy.

Demeter

Some of the better males

That ugly male from a few posts ago turned all white. I shuffled some fish around so now he and another male are in baskets. The tank they’re in also has a big male OB peacock. I think he bit this boy through the net, not sure if he’ll recover but he’s been acting off for a few days. Note the red spot on his head.

No one holds still so here’s the sorority/young females.

Demeter

Even after asking the store employee not to order more male bettas, when I called back as they asked me to I learn that they did order more males. So I still have all my boys... I worry that the ones in half gallon jars are started to be effected by cramped conditions.

Luckily I found something that should help the stress on the boys during water changes. Each chamber holds around 10 cups of water, so alittle over half a gallon. Quart jar for size comparison.

Melted some holes in one side and the bottom.

Added some blinders for between the section.

Little extra barrier on top to prevent jumping into the neighboring sections. Used a hot glue gun for this. Not pretty but functional.

I have another of the same thing but 2 won’t fit in the tote. Only 2 bettas are left in half gallon jars, all the others are either in baskets, divided tanks, or ~1gal jars.

Demeter

I still haven’t been able to sell off the young bettas, funny enough VIPets is more interested in the females than the males. I’ll see what I can do in the next week or so. Some of the males are having fin issues. I’m treating 2 for severe fin issues after extra water changes and M. Blue didn’t work. Sadly I decided to euthanize 3 males and 1 female. The 3 males were just not getting on well, one had swim bladder problems for a while now and 2 were the poorer quality fish. The female was incredibly runty from the get-go and was getting thin.

Little white boy recovered from getting mauled by a peacock cichlid through the net, he’s back to normal. Took a long while.

Favorite female, future breeder.

Prime breeder candidate, love this boy.

Platylover

that female and male are stunning! Can't wait to see what they produce.

Have you considered trying to sell here? Bettas can sometimes go quick here if shipped.

Demeter

I’m not confident in shipping, I’ve never shipped anything before. I’ve considered it but I don’t want to have them die before they get where they need to go. I feel it wouldn’t be a bad idea to just say “free to good homes, just pay shipping!” for a practice run on some of the lesser quality bettas.

Platylover

I think that would be a great idea to try it out! There's a lot of people who regularly ship fish out here and would be more than happy to lend you a helping hand. I remember Mcasella helped me when I shipped out two cories a year or two ago and they both arrived alive!

Demeter

I decided to get the bettas spawning again. I didn't do the usual half filled tank bare bottom but instead just put the female on his side of the divider. I figured he'd eat the eggs his first time but so far so good. The process took ~1 day (last night and this morning), for him chasing and building his nest. I removed the female last night then added her back in 10:50am. They started spawning right away and I removed her around 1:30pm. Not a ton of eggs (they're still small) but towards the end she wasn't releasing any the last few embraces.

Before spawning,

After, a little thinner but not too beat up at all.

The spawning pictures aren't that great. There was a terrible glare from the nearby window.

The male did not know what he was doing at first. She was nudging his side and he was having problems understanding what that meant. He figured it out eventually. I'd guess there's under 100 eggs which is fine for their first time. I have a fresh micro worm culture going and a new box of kosher salt for brine shrimp eggs. Hopefully in a week they will be free swimming.

Demeter

A not so great video of them spawning. Please ignore the TV sounds, this tank is in the living room.

The eggs started hatching last night and dad seems to be doing just fine. Still not seeing very many fry but that's ok. He moved the nest to the back corner of the tank so I can't see too well but several fry are sticking to duckweed roots.

Demeter

Babies have been free swimming for about a week. They can eat the small/medium micro worms but the adult worms are too big. I’ll be starting up the brine shrimp hatchery pretty soon. Right now I’m doing their first water change of 25%

Demeter

Babies are happily eating BBS. I still mix a bit of micro worms in for the smaller fry. With the naked eye and all the plants in the way, I’ve counted up to about 30 fry. They are starting to look different now, some lighter colored and some with longer/shorter bodies. Their tail fins are growing but I don’t see dorsal or pelvic fins yet. They are 21 days old since being eggs.

Demeter

I think this one may be a double tail. I can also see the little dorsal fins growing on the larger fry.

ValerieAdams

They are so cute and tiny I love it

Guanchy

this is great! how did I just see this thread!.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom