Baby Betta Needs Your Help.. I Am A Failing Mom/fishkeeper Who Keeps Losing Everything

1. Fish&snails

Fish&snails Valued Member Member

IMG_0643.PNG IMG_0644.PNG IMG_0645.PNG IMG_0646.PNG IMG_0647.PNG

I have a baby Betta who is a couple of months old. She seemed to have been doing great she was put into a 10 gallon year old established tank that had some neon tetras, Cory cat, and a dwarf sucker. My water parameters consistently stay at:
    Ammonia 0
    Nitrate 20
    Nitrite 0
    PH 8.0
    Temp 80

About a week or two after a got her I moved the neons out of that tank and into a 20 gallon tank that I have because I knew that they would be happier. Everything seemed to be going ok. A couple of times I thought I saw very small stings of white poop but it was thick and not clear so based upon my research I didn't worry to much. I went out of town for about 4 days and asked my neighbor to feed my baby because I was afraid that she couldn't go that long without food given her age. The rest of my tanks I let go. When I got home I found her with a huge stomach that is just getting larger every day and she is pineconed. I gave very strict instuctions on how to feed her. I have fasted her for a day, feed her peas and it didn't seem to make a difference. She has Aquarium salt in her water and she is on her third does of Kanaplex tonight.
    I have posted some pictures of her before and what she looks like now. Any ideas on what could be going on, causing the dropsy, how else I could treat? I know the prognosis is usually not good. She still swims around very actively and still wants to eat as of today. She is actually quick the little pig still.
    Any ideas or suggestions on what else I can do? I keep losing all my fish for one reason or another it seems. It's so frustrating.
    Thank you for taking the time to try and help me out.

2. AllieSten

AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

Hi there. If you saw white stringy poop, I would do an anti-parasitic. A medication with Praziquantel in it works best. I personally use Hikari Prazipro. It is a good safe gentle med. You can use it at the same time as the Kanaplex without any issues.

Once you finish with the Kanaplex you may consider using API-General Cure instead. It has metronidazole and Praziquantel in it together. Metronidazole is a good gut antibiotic. So if it was me, I would use it instead of the Kanaplex. But if you have added the third dose already, finish the Kanaplex treatment first.

Also I recommend Epsom Salt Baths. This site can walk you through it.

Salt Baths

Be sure the Epsom salt doesn't have any soaps, colors, or dyes in it.

Epsom salt can help with the bloating and any constipation issues both. So it is a good treatment to use at the same time as the antibiotics and antiparasitic.

You are not failing. You clearly are doing the best you can with a difficult situation. So try not to be too hard on yourself.

Edit: if you can. Try taking a grain of the Epsom salt and insert it into a soaked pellet for the betta to eat. It will work well as an oral laxative also. Better than peas. But it is kind of tricky to actually accomplish.

3. R

Racing1113 Well Known Member Member

The other fish seem ok? Have you seen her poop since you got back? What were the instructions you gave your neighbor and are you confident they followed your instructions?

Also, I know they aren't your main concern, but cories should be kept in groups of 6+ and shouldn't be in a 10 gallon. It's too small due to how active they are. What type of cory? Some of them aren't compatible with betta temps. Otocinclus also shouldn't be in a 10 gallon, and their temp range maxes out at 79 degrees. I know that a 1 degree difference may not seem like a lot, but again that's their max temp. Keeping them at that temp permanently makes for uncomfortable fish with shortened life spans.

4. Susiefoo

Susiefoo Well Known Member Member

Sorry to hear about your Betta. I dont have advice on the situation now but noticed about the neighbour feeding. The only thing I have ever found to work when getting other people to feed my fish is to portion out the food in a plastic daily pill box and hide away the rest. People just don't get it otherwise. Just a suggestion for next time. I hope your lovely Betta recovers soon.

5. OP
    OP
    Fish&snails

Thank you guys!
    I gave her an Epson salt bath tonight. I have API General Cure coming tomorrow via Amazon. When I put her in the bath I found one tiny little white poop when she got out. My last dose of Kanaplex was Saturday. I put the carbon back in tonight. How much of a water change do you think I need to do before starting General Cure. I didn't want to do another water change tonight because I did a fairly large one yesterday and she seemed kind of like her world was a little rocked when she got back in the tank tonight after the bath. Question, How often can I give her these baths while treating her with General Cure.

The other fish seem fine however, the Cory seems to have some slightly pinkish/red gills. I have never actually seen the little baby girl poop ever. Until tonight when I found a small amount in the salt bath I wasn't 100% sure what was going on in the tank was hers, other than the fact the she has blown up like a balloon and pineconed pointed me more toward her.

I feed her those micro pellets as they are the only thing she can get her mouth around besides flakes. I have been giving her 3-4 in the am and the same amount in the pm. There was a really big issue when the Neons were in there because she would just take down their food before it ever dropped. She has been a complete pig. So, I know she has been over feed. Now that she is more or less by herself, it's much easier to control. I was told that she would need to eat a little bit more than a grown Betta because she was a baby and growing.
    The Cory ended up in there as a recommendation from Petco. I have been wanting to get him out and get him some buddies but the tank he will be going to has been having issues and I can't seem to get those figured out either. That is why I say I am failing and I everything is dieing for one reason or another. The tank that the Cory needs to go to is a 29g Glotank and all my fish in there have something going on. I have tried numerous treatments, nothing helps. They are all still alive and kicking but I know it's probably just a matter of time. Alliesten has tried to help with these guys before too. The last I tried was Tetracycline. If you have any additional thoughts or ideas, I am all ears. I thought I would try some General Cure on them as well as that is something that I haven't tried. Here are a couple of picks of them.

IMG_0368.jpg IMG_0206.jpg

6. Sg822

Sg822 New Member Member

I'm right there with you feeling like everyday is a new problem! I think we just have to remember that we're doing the best we can and that's all these little fish can expect from us! I have not used it on my Betta fish but I bought a pkg of General Cure from Amazon so I'd have it on hand if ever there was an emergency. I bought it because in doing research online, most people recommended that rather than Betta fix and others.

I will also say that my Betta is a little pig and would dive into his food container if he could! That being said I limit him to 2 pellets in the morning and 2 pellets or 1 pellet + 3 freeze dried worms at night. Otherwise he would eat endlessly and have he same problem!

Good luck with all of your fish

7. OP
    OP
    Fish&snails

Thanks so much! I get so stressed out when they are sick. I don't understand how the baby girl got parasites. She was treated for a week with Paragaurd and the other guys were treated with Paragaurd prior to her arriving because they came down with ick. So, I was very careful when bringing her in because of what I was going through with my glotank and the fact that my other two tanks had just come off ick that about totally killed off everything in one of them completely. The other tank had a better survival rate.

Baby girl doesn't look any better from the bath last night. She is still eating and swimming. I did about a 40% water change tonight and added the General cure. I will do another Epson salt bath tomorrow. I am hoping to find her looking better when I wake up in the morning. Saying prayers.

8. OP
    OP
    Fish&snails

Hi Guys ****Update*****

As of yesterday the dropsy appeared to be gone!! Baby Girl got Epson Salt baths daily per AllieSten's advice (Thank You)! She also got 2 doses of General Cure. I did a water change and decided to dose again (3 dose) last night because she still didn't look 100% normal although the pineconing and bloating were gone. Also, there is still white poop in the tank floating around. So 2 questions..

1- Should I give her one more Epson Salt bath for good measure? Her tank has Aquarium Salt in it if that makes a difference.

2- How long should I continue the General Cure before I changed game plans if I still continue to see white poop?

As always thanks for your help and advice!!

9. R

Racing1113 Well Known Member Member

So glad she's doing better!!