Baby Betta...need Some Advice

1. AJ34

AJ34 Valued Member Member

Hey guys, I have mentioned this in other posts but I am really stumped....I have a baby boy betta I bought from Petco last month. This is my third baby betta, the other two seem to be flourishing and doing really well (I have had them for 2-3 months). Anyhow with those fish I noticed them growing pretty quickly. My newest baby, he seems a little longer but super skinny. He has a little bump at the end of his body right before his tail. It is like a bump in his shape not like a lesion or something attached to him. I wonder if he has some kind of defect, he barely opens his tail. He eats and he's surviving but he doesn't seem to be thriving. I have him in just under a two gallon with 50% water changes every two days or so. I thought maybe moving him to a large tank 5.5 would help but that made issues worse. He seemed really tired, lays on the ground a lot ... everyday I expect to find him dead but he keeps trudging on. I feel bad and am wondering what else I could do to help him thrive. I keep the water at about 80 degrees. I moved him back into the small tank, he seems more comfortable there.

2. emmysjj

emmysjj Well Known Member Member

Pics?

3. OP
    OP
    AJ34

Here it’s hard to see because he’s black and my phone lighting isn’t that great
    5705DA4D-AB03-4222-9433-D86DF62D4312.jpeg 8E7DF975-ACEC-4EF7-BBFF-42C3253EEDBE.jpeg

4. emmysjj

Hmm, I can’t really see a bump. What are your parameters?

5. OP
    OP
    AJ34

I use the test strips... everything is in the safe zones, cycled tanks... with established filters...I did have some nitrites in my tap suddenly but have been doing regular water changes with prime. I did have some gourami deaths in another tank (could have been related to aggression though) my other bettas are thriving...

6. OP
    OP
    AJ34

I think the bump isn’t as prevalent when he opens his tail but he hasn’t opened it in some time.

7. emmysjj

Hmm... I’m stumped. Wait for someone else to chime in. I hope he gets better :)

8. OP
    OP
    AJ34

Me too that’s why I was thinking it was maybe some genetic defect or maybe he’s just scared and a really late bloomer!