Baby Betta Fish

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Ariyan, Apr 19, 2018.

1. AriyanValued MemberMember

How old might he be, I got him last week his name is Rakesh. Screenshot_20180419-175136.jpg

2. CanadianFishFan

CanadianFishFanWell Known MemberMember

Its really hard to get a exact age for pet store bettas. I myself just got a baby betta from petsmart on monday. My guess is the yours could be 4-6 months old. Was it from petco? Because those babys are younger.

3. OP
    OP
    A

AriyanValued MemberMember

Yeah and I got mine on Monday too also How often are you suppose to change the water? He is in a half gallon tank

4. CanadianFishFan

oh my, SO research should be done before getting a betta. So bettas need a minimum of at least 2.5gallons! They also need a heater as they are tropical. And a low flow filter. They need water changes weekly with a %25 of the water taken out. Any other questions?

5. blueangelfishValued MemberMember

u need a bigger tank. at least a 2.5 gallon. Do u have a filter or a heater? He's cute thou!

also good variety of food would make your betta happy. there should be silk plants instead of plastic ones so he won't hurt himself and a cave so he can hide in if u have one.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2018
  6. Iridium_2256

Iridium_2256Valued MemberMember

I don't know how old he is, but god he is cute!:D

7. OP
    OP
    A

I know, I'm just keeping him in the half gallon tank until he is old enough to be in a community tank and its summer I don't think he is going to need a heater. He will probably be old enough to join my other fish in the 20 gallon community tank by winter which is when he will need a heater, if he does not do well with the other fish I will probably buy a 5 gallon tank just for him.

8. CanadianFishFan

Ok sounds like a better plan. I think you could add him sooner. Whats in the community tank?

9. blueangelfishValued MemberMember

ok. thats good to hear:)

10. OP
    OP
    A

I can't add him sooner because betta fish tend to get scared or feel tormented when they see fish bigger then them and I have mollies which are a little larger then Rakesh.

11. Bettafishies126

Bettafishies126Valued MemberMember

That name is absolutely adorable!

12. OP
    OP
    A

I named after my favorite character in a YouTube channel that does pranks it's called ownage pranks you should totally watch him it's so funny

13. Kamaile

KamaileValued MemberMember

It may be a good idea to add him sooner rather than later. He shouldn't feel too uncomfortable around bigger fish unless they pick on him. I never had much luck keeping male bettas with mollys because they would pick endlessly at the long fins.

14. OP
    OP
    A

I had another betta fish a few weeks ago but he died from stress because I added him to early that's why I don't want to rush it. Rip George 20180330_085140.jpg

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice