Baby Betta Fish

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Ariyan, Apr 19, 2018.

1. AriyanValued MemberMember

How old might he be, I got him last week his name is Rakesh. Screenshot_20180419-175136.jpg

2. CanadianFishFanWell Known MemberMember

Its really hard to get a exact age for pet store bettas. I myself just got a baby betta from petsmart on monday. My guess is the yours could be 4-6 months old. Was it from petco? Because those babys are younger.

3. AriyanValued MemberMember

Yeah and I got mine on Monday too also How often are you suppose to change the water? He is in a half gallon tank

4. CanadianFishFanWell Known MemberMember

oh my, SO research should be done before getting a betta. So bettas need a minimum of at least 2.5gallons! They also need a heater as they are tropical. And a low flow filter. They need water changes weekly with a %25 of the water taken out. Any other questions?

5. blueangelfishValued MemberMember

u need a bigger tank. at least a 2.5 gallon. Do u have a filter or a heater? He's cute thou!

also good variety of food would make your betta happy. there should be silk plants instead of plastic ones so he won't hurt himself and a cave so he can hide in if u have one.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2018
  6. Iridium_2256Valued MemberMember

I don't know how old he is, but god he is cute!:D

7. AriyanValued MemberMember

I know, I'm just keeping him in the half gallon tank until he is old enough to be in a community tank and its summer I don't think he is going to need a heater. He will probably be old enough to join my other fish in the 20 gallon community tank by winter which is when he will need a heater, if he does not do well with the other fish I will probably buy a 5 gallon tank just for him.

8. CanadianFishFanWell Known MemberMember

Ok sounds like a better plan. I think you could add him sooner. Whats in the community tank?

9. blueangelfishValued MemberMember

ok. thats good to hear:)

10. AriyanValued MemberMember

I can't add him sooner because betta fish tend to get scared or feel tormented when they see fish bigger then them and I have mollies which are a little larger then Rakesh.

11. Bettafishies126Valued MemberMember

That name is absolutely adorable!

12. AriyanValued MemberMember

I named after my favorite character in a YouTube channel that does pranks it's called ownage pranks you should totally watch him it's so funny

13. KamaileValued MemberMember

It may be a good idea to add him sooner rather than later. He shouldn't feel too uncomfortable around bigger fish unless they pick on him. I never had much luck keeping male bettas with mollys because they would pick endlessly at the long fins.

14. AriyanValued MemberMember

I had another betta fish a few weeks ago but he died from stress because I added him to early that's why I don't want to rush it. Rip George 20180330_085140.jpg