Baby Betta Color Change

1. L

Lyssa24xoxo New Member Member

Hi all! This is my first post- I just wanted to share photos of my baby betta, Caspian. I’ve only had him for 2 weeks and his colors seem to be changing drastically already!
    A1FEA77D-48E4-45CE-A66C-B35C058094EE.jpeg

2. Nightshadethebetta

Nightshadethebetta Valued Member Member

He’s a beautiful little betta :) They’re such unique fish!

3. Demeter

Demeter Well Known Member Member

Baby bettas are so fun. I too bought a tiny double tailed betta and it was labeled as a "boy" but egg spots rarely lie. I knew it was a girl when I bought her! I always have my eye out for double tailed females, I want to try getting a decent female to breed to one my plakat boys, who also carries the double tailed gene. Unfortunately Yuri is far too large at this point to try breeding with my little boys. Not sure I like her spikey edged fins in terms of breeding purposes anyways. She's still a good girl though.

DT in cup.JPG
    Yuri 1.JPG

4. OP
    OP
    L

Lyssa24xoxo New Member Member

I love her color! I was so happy to find a double tail baby. I’ve actually wondered if mine is a female, he was labeled baby boy at Petco but I’ve heard they get it wrong a lot when they’re so young. This one is my first baby, it’s so much fun seeing how quickly he grows and how much happier he is since I’ve got him home!

5. w_johnson07

w_johnson07 Valued Member Member

My male betta has a egg spot. Does that make him a female?

6. Demeter

Emphasis on the "rarely" part. Many male bettas will have an egg spot when young that slowly goes away as they mature. Others only show a false egg spot just after feeding. I had a male CT that would have the white spot only after stuffing him full of frozen brine shrimp.

7. w_johnson07

w_johnson07 Valued Member Member

Okay mine is also a crow tail and I wonder if it is the same thing as yours.

8. aBettaNamedRoy

aBettaNamedRoy Valued Member Member

My male crowntail also has a false egg spot, but only when overfed...Hmmm... @w_johnson07
    @Demeter

9. S

Small Tanks Valued Member Member

Oh he looks so much happier!

10. Demeter

Its been a while and I demand updates of the OP’s baby.

False egg spots are a thing, as I stated before they often show up after feeding and when they’re young.