Baby Betta, Bent Spine, Help Pleass

1. BettaFishyLuvr Well Known Member Member

First of all sorry if I posted this in the wrong section. Ok so last night I got two new baby bettas from petco for the betta sorority I’m trying. One is actually pretty big but still obviously a baby since u can’t really sex her (but I’m pretty sure it’s a girl). Now the other one is the issue, no she isn’t aggressive. She has a bent spine. Like really bad like it literally looks like an s. She has some trouble swimming but still gets around fine if that makes any sense. She eats extremely well and gets air well. I’m nervous to put her in the big tank. I’m not scared of the other fish hurting her since I have some extremely gentle bettas oddly enough (Ik weird well they r just babies) I’m not sure if I should put her in so I was hoping u guys could give me ur thoughts, so should I add her in or never add her or give her a few days in quarantine to gain strength? Also is there anything I can do to make her comfortable and keep her as healthy as possible with her crooked spine? Ok also sorry for all the questions I have one more I was just curious about. Is it true that it’s possible for baby bettas to grow out of a bent spine? I’m curious since I think I heard someone on here say that

2. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Can you take a pic of her?

3. BettaFishyLuvr Well Known Member Member

I’ll try when I get home but I have a potato quality camera and she’s really small

4. BettaFishyLuvr Well Known Member Member

U can’t really see the bend in these but I tried to get some good ones do these work?

Attached Files:

5. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I would leave her in her own tank to grow her out and see how that bent spine goes. Fish will pick on fish that perceive as having a weakness, and they may pick on her.

6. Mushishi Well Known Member Member

Spine problems you can't really fix with anything. It's a surgical problem, not a medication problem. The major concern being in a community would be her getting air/food after she grew a bit. The turbulence of the water and the behavior of the tank mates later on could cause issues for her. I'd get her her own 5 gallon honestly. Treat her like a queen, of course she could do just fine in the sorority however the risk is pretty high and even if she doesn't die, it doesn't mean she'll be comfortable.

7. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

It could be a medical problem if it's caused by a bacterial or viral infection.

8. david1978 Fishlore VIP Member

Ive had a few babies that seemed bent when i first got them out of their little cups. With in a few day they were normal. It was almost like they kept the bent of the cup.

9. Mushishi Well Known Member Member

I haven't seen an infection cause such a dramatic physical disfigurement to the actual spine of the fish before, especially so young. Definitely a possibility, but more likely just inbred/bad genes in which case just making her comfy is the best shot.

10. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

TB can. Not saying that this is what this is, but infections can do this.

11. Mushishi Well Known Member Member

I recently learned about TB and it terrifies the outa me

12. BettaFishyLuvr Well Known Member Member

Hm so would u say it would be an ok idea to let her grow a bit then try her in the community for a few days and see how she does? Yeah I’ve heard of TB and it makes me sooo nervous

13. david1978 Fishlore VIP Member

Like any new fish they should be qted.

14. BettaFishyLuvr Well Known Member Member

Yep I have her in a 3 gallon tank with a heater and sponge filter

15. david1978 Fishlore VIP Member

Hopefully with clean water and time she gets better.

16. BettaFishyLuvr Well Known Member Member

Alrighty thanks guys for all ur help

17. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I wouldn't add her to the sorority for at least a few weeks (the proper QT period anyway). See how she grows and develops first.

18. BettaFishyLuvr Well Known Member Member

Ok yeah that’s sounds like a good idea. And I should remove her if anything happens right?

19. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

From the sorority, yes, but personally I wouldn't add her at all if she doesn't grow out of the bent spine. I would worry about them picking on her, and it wouldn't be worth the risk.

20. BettaFishyLuvr Well Known Member Member

Ok sounds good