Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Baby Axolotls

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Forums' started by ivebeenturnedintoafish, Apr 1, 2019.

1. ivebeenturnedintoafishNew MemberMember

Hello all,
    I have been given 6 baby wildtype (less than 10cm) axolotls that were being kept in a very over crowded tank and because of that, they have got missing limbs that I am worried will get infected. Some of their legs already do look a bit swollen with white/red bits on them. I have got a 90l up and running for them as a temporary stay.

What can I do to help their legs?

Also is there any other advice you could give me?

-Gem

2. BettaishValued MemberMember

Going to be honest, I don't know a lot about axolotls, but the main thing that will keep any fish injuries from getting infected is super clean water and frequent water changes. Awesome that you rescued them!

3. FishcatWell Known MemberMember

Caudata.org appears to be a decent site for salamander/newt care. I have no personal experience with axolotls, but they do appear to be knowledgeable.

4. ivebeenturnedintoafishNew MemberMember

Thanks, I've check out that website and it does have heaps of info. Do you know anyone on here that has any knowlage about axis?

5. ivebeenturnedintoafishNew MemberMember

Thanks, I've been doing those daily along with all my other tank chores (I have serious MTS) they are the cutest babies with so much personality.

6. MD_PlantsWell Known MemberMember

Hey! I actually have an axolotl. When she had an infection, i just kept up lots of water changes along with some medication. I don’t remember exactly, just look for axolotl antibiotics. Axolotls have the ability to regrow limbs, and therefor are really good at preventing infections. all you can do is monitor and assess

7. ivebeenturnedintoafishNew MemberMember

Thanks heaps! It's great to hear from a axolotl owner. so daily water changes it is.

What type do you have?

8. MD_PlantsWell Known MemberMember

I have a golden leuistic snowflake axolotl. IMG_3394.JPG

9. ivebeenturnedintoafishNew MemberMember

Oh she's beautiful