Baby Apple Snails!

little miss

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hello everyone.

i was just wondering if anybody could shed some light for me...

i had a 90 Litre tropical tank set up and running for about 9 months.

i bought a new Juwel tank with a built in internal filter.

i transfered the water from the 90 Litre to the Juwel, along with the sand substrate, heater, live plants, bogwood, fish (danios, rasboras, platies, neon tetras and apple snails.. along with the matured filter (the plan being to use the matured filter until the Juwel filter caught up)

the 90 tank was empty for a couple of months while the Juwel cycled..

about 5 weeks ago i set it up again having made sure my Juwel filter could cope on it's own.

i returned the origional filter, along with some tank water from the Juwel and topped both tanks up with fresh dechlorinated water. i added substrate, plants, heater and bog wood.

i transfered my 2 apple snails having decided to breed them. i bought a couple more and have been waiting for eggs eagerly. (i discovered i have a male and 3 females)

they layed some eggs on the hood of the tank a little over a week ago..

i did some research and learned that they take 2 - 4 weeks to hatch.

on day 5 i was doing a water change and the eggs slipped off the hood into the water. i managed to rescue them instantly and have them floating in a seperate tank now.

last night i noticed a tiny baby apple snail roaming around in the 90 litre tank.

looking closer, there are at least ten and thats a guess....(i got out a magnifying glass, and there is nothing else they could be) they are really small, but without doubt apple snails.

where could they have come from? i moved the eggs after 5 days of them being layed....and they still have not hatched!

i am absolutely certain i didn't miss any other clutches....i have been checking every day several times a day but nothing!...

so...where did these little babies come from???

sorry this is so long. any ideas anyone? ;D

steed1172

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
on day 5 i was doing a water change and the eggs slipped off the hood into the water. i managed to rescue them instantly and have them floating in a seperate tank now.
as in floating floating? if they are in water they will drown, the eggs have to be out of the water..while being humid enough for them not to dry out.

little miss

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
sorry... i should have been more specific...

they are floating on a little polystyrene plate in a warm humid tank...

little miss

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
is it at all possibe that eggs can be layed and survive under water? that is the only possible explination i can think of??...

steed1172

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
mystery snails eggs that are laid under water will die. it may be possible some hatched "early" or just earlier than the rest.

maybe some almost developed baby snails fell out of an egg clutch and survived... not positive, it is baffling...

meh, floatin' them snails on a plate...mmm escargot! @.@

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom