Baby Angels :)

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by Isabella, May 10, 2006.

1. Isabella

IsabellaFishlore VIPMember

Carol, and all those interested: I'll have some baby angel pictures posted later today :) Carol, I tested the water a day after the bio-bag change and the results are: 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 0 nitrate (as always), and a pH of 7.0 ;D So far no ammonia or nitrite spike, thanks God! If there is no ammonia or nitrite spike one day after a bio-bag change, does that mean that there will be none? Or could there still be a spike, even a couple of days after the bio-bag change? I really hope that this is it and that my babies are safe. Carol, my angels are already able to eat small bloodworms and small brine shrimp. I also finally got them to eat flakes broken into smaller pieces :) So, they finally eat everything :) I think the worst and the hardest work is behind me! But I've gotta tell ya ... these little guys were of a job! I think I'll loosen up on the water changes ... can I Carol? Please? (LOL)

2. OP
    OP
    Isabella

OK ;D ! I got some pictures! BUT ... they're still not very clear because the angels are too small to take accurate pictures. I wish I had one of those professional cameras that can take clear and accurate pictures of tiny objects. Anyway, this is the best I could do for now:

Attached Files:

• Baby Angels :)
      1.jpg
      File size:
      47.8 KB
      Views:
      2.jpg
      File size:
      50.7 KB
      Views:
      3.jpg
      File size:
      44.4 KB
      Views:
      4.jpg
      File size:
      85.3 KB
      Views:
      5.jpg
      File size:
      59.8 KB
      Views:
      6.jpg
      File size:
      53.6 KB
      Views:
      7.jpg
      File size:
      195.6 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2007
  3. OP
    OP
    Isabella

And MORE! (Notice how they're all nipping at my finger below, lol, thinking of course that food is coming!)

Attached Files:

8.jpg
      File size:
      47.7 KB
      Views:
      9.jpg
      File size:
      397 KB
      Views:
      10.jpg
      File size:
      68 KB
      Views:
      11.jpg
      File size:
      36.7 KB
      Views:
      12.jpg
      File size:
      61.9 KB
      Views:
      13.jpg
      File size:
      92.7 KB
      Views:
      14.jpg
      File size:
      92.9 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2007
  4. Butterfly

ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

Isabella your babies are absolutely beautiful!!!!! You can look at them and see your reward for all those horrible water changes LOL. You could loosen up on the water changes without a problem, just keep testing that water. And if you haven't had a spike by now I don't expect one. Congratulations Angel Mommy!!!!
    Carol

5. OP
    OP
    Isabella

OK then, I will loosen up on the water changes. Will definitely keep testing the water to see how often the water needs to be changed in order for nitrate to be at 0. I think even with less frequent water changes, like every 2-3 days (50%), it would still be possible to keep nitrate at 0. But we'll see - after all the fish won't always be in a nitrate-free water, so they have to get used to at least some nitrate at some point. I can't predict what kind of people will buy my angels and how they'll be taking care of them. Anyway, yes the water changes were definitely worth it :) And considering that they were fed on frozen bbs, not the live one, I guess it is a success as for me. I've never even raised any fish before! You have no idea how much I've come to love them! I SO DON'T WANT TO GIVE THEM AWAY :'(

6. fish_r_friend

fish_r_friendWell Known MemberMember

when all your little angels were nibiling at your finger it reminded me of my grandmathers angels (unfortanity they died of old age they were like 14-15 years old)

7. Butterfly

yes at some point they will get used to some Nitrates, the point of keeping them so clean is because their little fins are still growing very fast and they need pristine water to do that without bending or distorting. your doing a great job, keep it up!!
    Carol

8. chickadee

chickadeeFishlore VIPMember

Congratulations on a gorgeous bunch of babies, Isabella. They are breathtaking. I wish I had an angel tank! I can see why it would be hard to think of giving them up. Just think though, there will be another spawn and then you will have this experience to look forward to again and you can watch this miracle happen to more "little angels".

They are SO beautiful.

Rose
    :)

9. Mike

MikeFishloreAdmin Moderator Member

Isabella - congrats and great job on raising those baby angelfish. They look really good.

10. OP
    OP
    Isabella

Thank you all for the kind words! I am glad to be able to share my joy with all of you :)

11. Manicivy

ManicivyValued MemberMember

what adorable babies! I hope to be adding some angels to my new tank after it has cycled. Is the only way to get a breeding pair to buy several and see if they pair off?

12. OP
    OP
    Isabella

Well, this is the way that increases the changes of giving you a pair. I must have hit the jackpot, lol, because my 2 angels were the first and only angels I ever got. When they grew up it turned out they're a male and a female. I must have been very lucky. You can buy 6 angels and when two have paired up, return the rest back to the store, or give them to whoever wants them and is able to take good care of them. Let your LFS know that you'll be returning the angels to make sure they'll take them back. In how large a tank do you want to pair them up?

The reason I say "6 angels" is that with 6 angels you should be able to get a pair (very high chances of it).

13. Manicivy

ManicivyValued MemberMember

I have a 29 gallon. I'm in the middle of setting up..not cycled yet so it will be a while before i can get them, just thinking ahead. I guess if I got them small 6 would fit ok until I figured out who the pair was. Any favorite plants for the angels? I'm sure I'll be posting tons of questions after I get them ;) I've had fish for years growing up but now I want to experiment with live plants, raising fry, bigger tanks etc.
    Well thanks for your help and good luck with those babies!

14. OP
    OP
    Isabella

Manicivy, perhaps this is what I will do: :)

15. Butterfly

Manicivy angels spawn at about 8-10 months old so their pretty close to their adult size. You can't tell their gender until they get ready to spawn. I have had 4 adult angels in a 29G temporarily and it was a little crowded. Out of 4 you should be able to get a pair then take the other two back or by then you may be so attached to them you get another tank :) MTS (Multiple Tank Syndrome) will set in. Resistance is futile :)
    Carol

16. OP
    OP
    Isabella

Yup, and no matter how hard you try to tell yourself you won't get another tank ... it's only a matter of time when you will get it!

17. LarryDavid

LarryDavidValued MemberMember

This is my ideal thing to do..
    I want to breed at least 1 set of angelfish fry before i die :D

18. OP
    OP
    Isabella

LOL, you will haha :) It's not so hard! All you really need is a mated pair. When they mature, they spawn like crazy. My pair lays eggs about every 3 weeks - don't know how to stop them if I wanted to, lol. If you want a real success and to see the parents raise their babies, get a separate tank just for the mated pair (I'd suggest at least 30 gallons), feed them well, keep them in warm temperature (at least 79F), and sooner or later they will spawn in such conditions. Also, have only a sponge filter in a breeder tank because it won't suck the fry in once they go free-swimming.

Here are more recent pictures of the baby angels (which are not babies anymore):

And here is when they were even smaller than on the pictures in this thread:

P.S. The reason I suggested at least a 30 gallon tank is because it would be a good size tank to raise the baby angels into adolescence in it. If you get something smaller, you'll soon find the angels growing too large for it, and you'll need to get another larger tank to move them. But if you get a large tank right away, you're saving yourself a lot of trouble.

19. LarryDavid

LarryDavidValued MemberMember

There great!

I have a 60 gallon tank currently cycling, and it is quite tall which I know angels prefer...

I dont know whether to get angels or different varietys first

Any opinions? :p

20. OP
    OP
    Isabella

If you have the money, make the 60 gallon a nice community tank, getting a variety of fish species. If you can't spend a lot and absolutely have to breed the angels, make the 60 gallon a breeding tank for angels. Or (again if you have the money and if you want to breed angels), get 6 angels for the 60 gallon tank - with s6 angels the odds of getting a mated pair are very high. Once you've got a pair, get a 30 gallon tank as I described it above, and put the mated pair in there to breed. The 60 gallon tank will be then left to make it a community tank if you want. You could keep the other 4 angels in the 60 gallon tank or give them away if you wouldn't want them anymore.