Baby Angel Fry Help

1. quarterback13 Member Member

I will start at beginning.

About 3 weeks ago I noticed something on a piece of my driftwood and at a closer look I saw what appeared to be crystals. I was to find they were Angel eggs. I have 1 very large common angel and 2 large golden angels. They unfortunately ate the egss after a few days. This happened 2 more times in the next 2 weeks. But then on the 4th try i noticed the eggs were moving on the wood and the after another day they were actually swimming . I watched in awe as I have no experience with such and never expected babies. I watched as all 3 angels guarded the fry intensily. But despite there brave attempts they were losing a few each day . After the 3rd day I called Big Al's for advice and was told to buy a breeding net and put them into it to keep them safe from the other fish in the community. I did this on their advice.

Well, 4 hours later they are all dead in the breeding net. I had fed them the newborn food big al's advised.

I wish I had come here for advice first but unfortunately i didn't.

If they lay more eggs in future . What is best thing to do. Please help as I really would love to experience them grow into adults with my grandchildren who are now very disappointed and upset. I feel very bad and sad. I feel I was responsible for their deaths and the adults appear very sad.

2. dvc_r Well Known Member Member

If your Angels are just first starting to spawn, and if all conditions are right, it may take them a few times before they get it right (practice makes perfect).

But:

If you have "Mom & Dad" in a community tank either one of two things will happen. One, the other fish will find a way to eat them or two, the parents will think they can't rise them in a safe environment so they'll eat them before the others find a way!

There is a lot of info out there on breeding Angels but in general, after they spawn on a rock, leaf, or something you can remove out of the tank. Once in another tank, use a sponge filter, split the air tube between the filter and an air stone. Place the air stone under the eggs to keep the water movement near the eggs and most people put Methyl Blue in to prevent fungus on the unfertilized eggs.
    There is a little more to it but that's the "Readers Digest" version. There is more if you :;google

3. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

4. dvc_r Well Known Member Member