Baby Albino Bn Pleco

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Tank Photos' started by Victoria99, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Victoria99

Victoria99Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +52
    Experience:
    4 years
    Hims is so cute! Hims name is Plecster
    Unfortunately my mom's dogs are all his micro wafers (for the second time), so she has to buy him more. Until then, we'll have to try some veggies and see what hims thinks. I'm in love! I'm thinking I'm gonna pull him up like this every couple of weeks and take pictures of him to log his growth. He's such a chill little dude, too, but also super active.
    20190612_002442.20190612_002444.20190612_002447.20190530_185524.

2. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +11,724
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Awesome. Don't forget the protein part in its diet.

3. scarface

scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +7,263
    Experience:
    Just started
    Cool fish. However, I don't see the point of pulling it out and stressing it out every couple of weeks to "log his growth," unless you're trying to get exact measurements to collect data. If not, I don't see the point. Not trying to rain on anyone's parade. I like before and after pics myself. The fish just stay in the tank.

4. Redshark1

Redshark1Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +1,766
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I agree and if he sticks to the glass like that often you might be able to gain the measurements that way. Keep his little belly full and rounded to be sure he's not starving. He's looking good on the glass.

5. OP
    OP
    Victoria99

Ratings:
    +52
    Experience:
    4 years
    Yeah, for sure. He'll just have veggies for a few days till he can get his wafers.

Oh no, I'm not pulling him out of the water. In the picture, I'm just holding the net near the top so I can get pictures. He's such a chill little dude though I really don't think it stressed him much.

Good point, and thanks for the feeding advice.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2019
  6. mattgirl

mattgirlFishlore VIPMember

Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
    Ratings:
    +6,699
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    My BN Plecos main diet is zucchini but they also get shrimp pellets and algae wafers. Elbert, that handsome fellow over there in my avatar started out just a tiny baby when he came to live with me 3 1/2 years ago and is now about 5 inches long.

I just got his lady friend Evelyn last week. Thanks again @coralbandit :) She is still a tiny thing but is already close to full grown. She took to the food I had been feeding Elbert like she had been eating it her whole life.

All this to say, they need their veggies along with other food to supply the needed protein to grow strong and healthy. Some of them enjoy their drift wood. I have it in there for mine but seldom ever see them rasping on it.

7. OP
    OP
    Victoria99

Ratings:
    +52
    Experience:
    4 years
    Plecster really likes his driftwood, and the stuff that looks like wood . Got it- shrimp pellets and algae wafers, plus veggies.
    How old were you kids when their bristles grew in?

8. mattgirl

Ratings:
    +6,699
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Elbert was with me for at least 6 months before I was sure he was a little boy. The bristles started out around his mouth. Tiny at first so for a month or so after they started I still wasn't sure but then they started growing longer and then started growing up his face. that was when I was sure. Evelyn was already a proven female before I got her so I didn't have to wait and wonder.

9. angelcraze

angelcrazeWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,333
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Congrats on getting yourself your pleco, he/she is a cutie :) My dog Snoop ate all my fish food too once! I have to make sure not to leave them out and especially put the top back on. My dog Chelsea checks the fishroom out daily for fallen food pieces lol.

10. e_watson09

e_watson09Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +331
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I agree with others, I wouldn't net him just for pictures, usually you can get better photos outside of a net anyways and then it wouldn't stress him out. :) He/she is super cute!

11. OP
    OP
    Victoria99

Ratings:
    +52
    Experience:
    4 years
    So I should plan on like, 6 months then?

Lol! One of my mom's dogs comes in every day to watch the fish and wish she could eat them. She's pretty sure the way in is from the top, but she doesn't wanna take a bath to get them

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2019
  12. Crispii

CrispiiWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,222
    Love the name btw. ;)

13. mattgirl

Ratings:
    +6,699
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Elbert was my first baby BN Pleco so I can only tell you how long it was for him. Others may mature faster and some slower. I don't know how old he was when I first got him but he couldn't have been very old since he was so tiny.

Just comparing the Photo of Plecster and how small Elbert was I am thinking Plecster is already bigger than Elbert was when I first got him. He couldn't have been much over an inch long and maybe 1/4 inch across his head when I first got him.

14. OP
    OP
    Victoria99

Ratings:
    +52
    Experience:
    4 years
    Aw, that's cute how tiny he was! Plecster is a bit bigger than that. About an inch an 3/4 long when I got him. He's probably 2 inches now, and his head is probably half an inch across. So maybe he's a month or two older than Elbert when you got him? If Plecster matures at the same rate as Elbert, that would give him about 4-5 months until I can tell gender. Although, I've already decided it's a boy, so if he grows up to be a girl then I'm going to have a very genderly confused pleco

Hahaha, thank you

15. mattgirl

Ratings:
    +6,699
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    hehehe Poor Elbert started out his life being named Ellie Mae. I was thinking he had to be a little girl because he was so unbelievably cute. :D

He wasn't much bigger than 2 1/2 inches long when the tiny bristles started showing up around his mouth. He had been with me close to 5 months at that point. I read that some females do get the tiny ones so I still wasn't convinced that I had not given him the right name. Once they started growing longer and up his nose there was no doubt though. Thankfully I didn't give him an inferiority complex :D

16. OP
    OP
    Victoria99

Ratings:
    +52
    Experience:
    4 years
    That's still a super cute name I'm glad he doesn't have a complex. It can be really difficult in our society these days
    Plecster is actually starting to get little nubs on either side of his mouth. It's pretty cute

17. mattgirl

Ratings:
    +6,699
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    If the nubs are the beginning of bristles it shouldn't take a lot longer before they start getting some length on them if Plecster is a male. :)

18. OP
    OP
    Victoria99

Ratings:
    +52
    Experience:
    4 years
    Well, cool!

19. Aprilamy

AprilamyValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +61
    Experience:
    1 year
    We named ours Stevie as could be either sex name! Lol my hubby still hopes Stevie is a boy.

20. OP
    OP
    Victoria99

Ratings:
    +52
    Experience:
    4 years
    Haha, good idea!