Babies!

Discussion in 'Corydoras' started by klutz10154, Dec 10, 2012.

1. klutz10154

klutz10154Valued MemberMember

so while I was at work my awesome boyfriend found out we have baby catfish in our 30 gal... with 13 adult corys... will the adults eat the babies???

2. amber0107

amber0107Well Known MemberMember

Quite possibly. Do they have plenty of hiding spots?

3. plecodragonWell Known MemberMember

What else is in the tank?
    Usually once the fry are big enough to be seen by us they are pretty safe from the adults thou they should have somewhere to hide that is harder for the adults to get to. Feeding your adults well and they also have a better chance. A clump of java moss is helpful.
    I just love baby cories they are just so cute.
    Good luck.

4. OP
    OP
    klutz10154

DSCN0866.jpg this is an updated pic of the tank. fairly nicely planted but we just found them today and they were all over the place lol

5. fishaddiction

fishaddictionValued MemberMember

If you want lots of survivors remove if you want just a few leave as is nice pic. :)

6. MMJValued MemberMember

hey itz gr8 to hear that
    Congrats :) :)

7. Lucy

LucyModeratorModerator Member

Awwww..congrats!

Maybe you can weigh down that plant that you have floating.
    They can hide out in there.

Sounds like they've been really good at hiding without it!

8. guppygrl

guppygrlValued MemberMember

Wow that's so neat! Congrats on the new babies!

9. OP
    OP
    klutz10154

They are sooooo small! I can barely see them! my boyfriend is great at seeing small things like that. we ended up taking out what we could find and putting them in a hang on the side breeder box that has a filter on it. the plant on the top in the pic is hornwort and is supposed to be a floating plant so I'm not really concerned about it. the only things in the tank are the 13 adult corys of various species and what ever babies we couldn't see lol

10. OP
    OP
    klutz10154

DSCN0867.jpgDSCN0869.jpg I don't know how he saw them last night but here's a couple of not so great but the clearest I could get pics of the little guys lol

11. OP
    OP
    klutz10154

So in the last week we've found 5 new babies in the main tank! either that or they're really good at escaping their breeder box lol so we're up to around 20 cory babies!

12. tim1989New MemberMember

They're growing. They've gone from eyes with little tadpole like tails to getting tiny bellies and their tails have started to fan out a bit.

13. OP
    OP
    klutz10154

Like Tim said the babies are getting bigger! got a semi decent picture DSCN0875.jpgDSCN0877.jpg

14. OP
    OP
    klutz10154

Updated pictures! They're getting soooobig! 2012-12-29 12.30.59.jpg

15. plecodragonWell Known MemberMember

I am confused the pics that you posted are not pics of catfish (cory) fry. The fry in the pic look more like some sort of tetra or livebearer unless I am not seeing the cory fry hiding in the rocks? If you didn't have some other fish in the tank then it is possible that they came with new plants?
    Cute fry

16. ShazrayNew MemberMember

Yeah ... what are they? They look like tetras to me!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice