babies?

1. Gordinian Well Known Member Member

I've noticed that one of my OB cichlid females' mouth is looking bigger, like she's holding babies. She has, however, fooled me before (by keeping food in her mouth), so I'm not 100% sure if she actually has babies inside (90%, as I haven't seen her eat in a while...). I'll try to post pictures in a bit.

My main question is this: I do remember reading somewhere that peacocks can interbreed if they want to... is this true?? My red empress male has been showing off to the ladies recently, and I haven't noticed my OB male showing off much at all... is it possible these (possible) babies are half OB half red empress?

2. RogueAgent94 Fishlore Legend Member

Hi,

It is possible that she is holding. If you sit in front of the tank and don't move for a while she should open her mouth slightly to a point where you can see the babies or eggs.

I believe a Red Empress and OB can interbreed. If you have a male OB in the tank I would guess that he is the sire and not the Red Empress. It is possible though. Difficult to tell unless you actually see them in action.

3. Gordinian Well Known Member Member

thank you! I've always been able to see the babies/eggs inside of my empresses, but this girl is keeping her mouth shut no matter how still I am!

4. Gordinian Well Known Member Member

Well, here they are! The first two are the male, the third picture is what she looks like now. In the picture, her "pouch" looks smaller than it actually is- I couldn't get a good enough picture. The last one is her a couple months ago- no "pouch"

Attached Files:

5. RogueAgent94 Fishlore Legend Member

Your female actually looks to be a male. She has egg spots. Usually they don't keep their mouths that tightly shut when they are holding.

6. Gordinian Well Known Member Member

Well, it's not a boy! I tried to net her to see if I could open her mouth up a bit more and a rock fell out. :;sh Odd. But that's not how I know she's a girl, after the rock came an egg!! Sadly, I don't have a tumbler, and I was not able, for the life of me, to make one myself in time, so I don't think that one's going to make it.

7. RogueAgent94 Fishlore Legend Member

Weird. I wonder why she has egg spots. Its nice that you got to see an egg! Sometimes young females will hold rocks in their mouths to replicate the feeling of eggs. And sometimes they just miss when they are trying to pick up an egg Lol.

8. Gordinian Well Known Member Member

I have another female that has some egg spots too... anyways, pictures will come when the babies are out!

9. RogueAgent94 Fishlore Legend Member

That's really interesting. I don't remember any of my females having egg spots. But then again with over 300 tanks and a couple of ponds I didn't have much time to pay attention to them ;D.

I'm looking forward to pictures!! I hope the fry survive. African Cichlid fry are annoyingly able to survive almost anywhere. Even if you think you don't have any left I can almost guarantee you do.

10. Gordinian Well Known Member Member

I moved her into her own tank, so I hope they survive!! lol

11. Gordinian Well Known Member Member

Mom's had the eggs/babies in her mouth for about 10 days now- how much longer should I expect to wait? I'm just so excited for pictures!!

12. RogueAgent94 Fishlore Legend Member

The female shouldn't be moved now that she's had the eggs in her mouth for 10 days. That could damage the fry. Just leave her as she is for a while. Females usually release the fry 4 weeks after birth.

13. Gordinian Well Known Member Member

I won't be moving her anywhere- she's already in her own tank. I moved her there when I first noticed her mouth and even before I started this thread :)

14. Gordinian Well Known Member Member

Well, mom was getting a little too skinny for my liking, so I stripped the babies. They're SO cute. I set them up in a homemade tumbler that I was finally able to put together; they still have their yolk sacs but seem to be able to swim. I'll attach pictures, but do they need the tumbler?

Attached Files: