Babies on the porch

1. kingguppy9000 Member Member

I think I'm gonna throw the next three batchs of babies in large containers on the porch to grow out. Any thoughts? It's shaded so heat won't be an issue, of course I'll still be cleaning it out and doing water changes. Anyone have any experience with this?

2. Aichmalotizo Well Known Member Member

It would still need to be filtered, but there is nothing wrong with that. I'm assuming these are Guppies? Also, you might want to heat the containers, so the temp doesn't drop to much at night.
    Edit, went through old posts, realized your talking about swordtails. Still don't see any problem as long as it doesn't get to hot in the day.

3. kingguppy9000 Member Member

Mid 90s, but the are on the porch, which is covered and has hedges around it that are close to the height of the house.

4. Aichmalotizo Well Known Member Member

I probably wouldn't do it if the shade temp exceeds 80.

5. kingguppy9000 Member Member

It's actually really hard to tell the shade temp where I live. It's common to have the temp outside in the low 90s but with humidity it feels like the low 100s.
    I'm buying a new thermometer for the container so I can monitor it other then by feel.
    It's very well shaded but I'm gonna get some duck weed in with them for more shade if it's to hot.

6. Dovah Well Known Member Member

Vair important question! Can we confirm the fish?

7. ToddHendrix Member Member

Swordtails, as mentioned above. I was going to do this if my pearl gouramis ever mated...but the male just made a big bubble nest and did nothing

8. kingguppy9000 Member Member

Yes swordtails

9. kingguppy9000 Member Member

It's been a week and all the babies are doing just great.