Babies have hatched

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Tank Photos' started by Thunder_o_b, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

I posted the first photos of the happy couple and their eggs in another thread so I will not repost them here. Mama and Papa are moving the hatchlings to another leaf on the Anubis. So far they have been doing a good job of keeping the other residents of the tank at a distance. Both have been eating and have full bellies. I have been turning off the canister at feeding time so the bulk of the food falls away from the babies.

There were some significant photographic tech issues with the placement of the eggs/hatchlings, as can be seen in the first shot. But I did manage to find a work around as can be seen in the second and third shot. Mama and Papa did not mind the use of the flash (still, I'm glad I waited till the eggs hatched and were being moved before using it) A benefit of taking a LOT of photos of them in the past.

I hope you all like these shots. I will post shots as things develop (pun intended;))

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018
  2. klogue2Valued MemberMember

All I can say is WOW!

3. Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

Thank you klogue :)

4. pirahnah3Fishlore VIPMember

great shots! what lens did you use this time?

5. AmazonPassionModeratorModerator Member

Excellent. Great close up picture!!!!

6. AquariaUKValued MemberMember

Finally, a good quality zoomed picture of eggs!!

7. MsheresyValued MemberMember

Do you have any threads about the equipment you use?

8. Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

Thank you pirahnah :)

I was able to switch back to the 150mm tel macro once I figured out the optical issues with that lens and the aquarium. The twin flash heads went a long way to the improved quality of the last two shots. I am thinking of doing this again with the 50D body, it will give me a 50% increase in apparent magnification, with a slight decrease in Image quality.

Thank you AmazonPassion :)

Thank you AquariaUK:)

Not per's e but I have posted the info in various threads.

These shots were taken with a Canon 5DMKII body, a Sigma prime f/2.8 150mm macro, a Canon MT24 twin head flash diffused and mounted in a Novoflex bracket. This is a shot of this rig, the flex arms are 21" and very adjustable. This allows me to position the flashes so the light floods the tank coming back through the glass overcoming any imperfections in/on the glass. It also gives complete control over what if any shadows are in the shot. The flash heads are individually adjustable for output.

I must stress that you do not need equipment of this level to get good aquarium shots. It's just that aquatics and photography are deep passions for me :D

9. Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

I tried the 50D, not happy with the IQ. So we'll stick with these shots.

10. Meeps83Well Known MemberMember

Excellent! I can't wait to follow their journey!

11. Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

Thank you Shanna :)

Stay tuned.

12. pirahnah3Fishlore VIPMember

The one cheating trick I have used is to shorten the length of the lens and use the flash with the lens up against the tank glass with a rubber lens hood. Takes some good shots that way, but you REALLY need a WIDE angle for it.

13. Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

Not cheating, but a very creative way of using your gear to get the shot you want :D

I have no wide angles, but would like to try it. The tel-macro gives great bokeh through image compresion, but there are times that I can see the advantage that a WAL would have with bigger fish, like my discus…Hmmmmm :rolleyes: *Sunhawk! I need another lens!*  

14. Quinn_Lamb98Well Known MemberMember

very nice pictures. probably the best i have seen of angel fish eggs.

nice job

15. Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

Thank you FishFanatic :)

16. Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

Shots from today. The babies are groing so fast.

1. Keeping Spike in line.

2. Keeping an eye on the big guy on the other side of the glass.

3. Ok, not an angel but I thought it was a good shot.

17. Quinn_Lamb98Well Known MemberMember

incredible

18. Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

Thank you FishFanatic :)

19. cschiefsNew MemberMember

Wonderful pictures!

20. ToniaWell Known MemberMember

Those are simply amazing pictures Thunder. You may not "need" the great cameras, but I have noticed you can get much finer pictures with a good camera than you can with one that's just ok. I take much better pics with my 35mm than the digital that my family gave me.. it's just not the same quality.

I want your camera, though! Wow!!!! that is one incredible camera and an absolutely fabulous artist to take the time to get those fantastic shots!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice