Azoo Pumps/powerheads

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Anyone have experience with these? I'm going to be needing some pretty high flow for my river tank, and most of the powerheads either aren't strong enough or are prohibitively expensive. The Azoos are rated at a much higher gph than other pumps of the same price.
Of course, I'm concerned with the quality of the pumps. With such a price gap, I'm hoping to find some people who have had experience, either good or bad, with them.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have azoo palm filters and they are fantastic. That's all I got...

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Jaysee said:
I have azoo palm filters and they are fantastic. That's all I got...
That's a good start. At least the company makes quality products. How long have you been running them?

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I haven't used Azoo products so I don't know anything about them. When I need a lot of flow in my Saltwater tanks, I like Hydor Koralias a lot. They are great for the price IMO.

This link shows you some flow rates.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
sirdarksol said:
That's a good start. At least the company makes quality products. How long have you been running them?
For a year or so. They have a stupid name, but it's an acronym for something legitamate...i forget.

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
harpua2002 said:
I haven't used Azoo products so I don't know anything about them. When I need a lot of flow in my Saltwater tanks, I like Hydor Koralias a lot. They are great for the price IMO.

This link shows you some flow rates.
It doesn't look like those can be used to run a UGF. Is that correct? The setup I need for the loaches requires a powerhead that can run a UGF (it's not actually a UGF, but a system that creates a single direction of water flow).

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
sirdarksol said:
It doesn't look like those can be used to run a UGF. Is that correct? The setup I need for the loaches requires a powerhead that can run a UGF (it's not actually a UGF, but a system that creates a single direction of water flow).
Hillstreams?

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
sirdarksol said:
Oh, now I get it!!

No, the Koralias are just pumps. There are no areas to attach anything like UGF, etc. I assumed you would just mount powerheads on one side of the tank, but you obviously have something more fun planned!

TedsTank

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Not familiar with it...but Have you looked at Marineland Maxi-Jet?? been running mine for about a month and love it...quiet and powerful... From MarineDepot, was on sale.

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Maxi Jets are super reliable IME. I have never had one fail. I just don't know if the flow rates are high enough for this type of application..... ???

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
That's why I'm looking at the Azoos. For $50, I get over 1200gph. PVC pipes running under the gravel will channel the water input to the opposite end of the tank, meaning I'll have a stream effect, which is precisely what the hillstream loaches need.

I can do it with some of the other powerheads, but they cost much, much more than the Azoos. After the massive amount I'm putting into the lighting for the aquarium, I don't think my wife is going to let me sink a couple of hundred dollars into the powerheads.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I thought so! I've seen setups like that - they used a 20L.

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Jaysee said:
I thought so! I've seen setups like that - they used a 20L.
20L? As in a twenty liter tank?
I'm going with something much, much bigger than that.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
sirdarksol said:
20L? As in a twenty liter tank?
I'm going with something much, much bigger than that.
20 Long

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Ah. Yes, I still will be going with something bigger... about six times bigger.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hence the 1200 gph

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads