Azoo Pumps/powerheads

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by sirdarksol, Mar 18, 2010.

1. sirdarksol

sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

Anyone have experience with these? I'm going to be needing some pretty high flow for my river tank, and most of the powerheads either aren't strong enough or are prohibitively expensive. The Azoos are rated at a much higher gph than other pumps of the same price.
    Of course, I'm concerned with the quality of the pumps. With such a price gap, I'm hoping to find some people who have had experience, either good or bad, with them.

2. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I have azoo palm filters and they are fantastic. That's all I got...

3. OP
    OP
    sirdarksol

That's a good start. At least the company makes quality products. How long have you been running them?

4. harpua2002

harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

I haven't used Azoo products so I don't know anything about them. When I need a lot of flow in my SW tanks, I like Hydor Koralias a lot. They are great for the price IMO. :)

This link shows you some flow rates.

5. Jaysee

For a year or so. They have a stupid name, but it's an acronym for something legitamate...i forget.

6. OP
    OP
    sirdarksol

It doesn't look like those can be used to run a UGF. Is that correct? The setup I need for the loaches requires a powerhead that can run a UGF (it's not actually a UGF, but a system that creates a single direction of water flow).

7. Jaysee

Hillstreams?

8. harpua2002

Oh, now I get it!!

No, the Koralias are just pumps. There are no areas to attach anything like UGF, etc. I assumed you would just mount powerheads on one side of the tank, but you obviously have something more fun planned! :p

9. TedsTank

TedsTank Well Known Member Member

Not familiar with it...but Have you looked at Marineland Maxi-Jet?? been running mine for about a month and love it...quiet and powerful... From MarineDepot, was on sale.

10. harpua2002

Maxi Jets are super reliable IME. I have never had one fail. I just don't know if the flow rates are high enough for this type of application..... ???

11. OP
    OP
    sirdarksol

That's why I'm looking at the Azoos. For $50, I get over 1200gph. PVC pipes running under the gravel will channel the water input to the opposite end of the tank, meaning I'll have a stream effect, which is precisely what the hillstream loaches need.

I can do it with some of the other powerheads, but they cost much, much more than the Azoos. After the massive amount I'm putting into the lighting for the aquarium, I don't think my wife is going to let me sink a couple of hundred dollars into the powerheads.

12. Jaysee

I thought so! I've seen setups like that - they used a 20L.

13. OP
    OP
    sirdarksol

20L? As in a twenty liter tank?
    I'm going with something much, much bigger than that.

14. Jaysee

20 Long

15. OP
    OP
    sirdarksol

Ah. Yes, I still will be going with something bigger... about six times bigger. ;)

16. Jaysee

Hence the 1200 gph :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice