2 Gallon Tank Azoo Mignon 60 Filter Basket

FishRFriendz

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I made the tiniest media basket. Darice #5 plastic mesh and fishing line.

mNeiKH5.jpg

dpJVe3u.jpg

There are some plastic channels that prevent anything being flush against the front wall of the filter. As well as a slight taper.
37D9XcG.jpg

And a dimple on the inside for the mounting hole for the leveler. So the basket has to be slightly tapered at the bottom.
dl7JZ63.jpg

NnB98bR.jpg

bettabo1

Reaction score
Dimensions please. Been needing something like this.

Do you think hot gluing the edges would work?

OP
FishRFriendz

FishRFriendz

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
bettabo1 said:
Dimensions please. Been needing something like this.

Do you think hot gluing the edges would work?
Worth a try, but I think unless the joint is completely surrounded in glue the bond will release over time with hot glue. And there's a risk of melting the mesh. I think my glue gun is too hot, I got one that is a bit more wattage than usual and it even melts landscape cloth.

On larger filters I've used zip ties and oriented them so that the zip tie heads are inside the cage, but this thing is tiny, so the ties themselves would take up a lot of valuable space.

I have another 1 or 2 more to make so when I get home I'll cut up another insert and take a pic of all the pieces laid out so it's easy to just look at and count the holes for measurements. Might be a little different from the photo above, as I've been iterating on it with each one I make. I have 5 mignon filters...

Darice #5 is 5 holes per inch, and is ridiculously priced if you buy it online. Fortunately the local hobby/art supply stores have it for about $1 per sheet. Hobby Lobby, Michaels, Joann stores are just about everywhere.

Size #8 is more common, but mine are #5 so just be carefull with the measurements and size if you go by the holes my photos.

OP
FishRFriendz

FishRFriendz

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'd recommend just doing straight up without the little lip. I'm just iterating and playing with it.
0LqAGKo.jpg

955AGXZ.jpg

GrAGZD3.jpg

The bottom is not a perfect rectangle so the corner is taken off to get the bottom piece to lay flat.
And there is a notch of plastic where the leveler socket fits into the bottom of the filter, so I've put a notch in the bottom piece at the front.
yAUHYG7.jpg

Twist ties to temporarily hold the shape while I tie it together with fishing line.
UhfmtSZ.jpg

The front is a bit tricky to allow for the notch. at the bottom it's actually tied on a little further in than the top.
qncwMHt.jpg

Islandvic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I'm going to link this in the DIY Filter Media thread that is stickied toward the top of the main page of this section.

Excellent write up.

The twist ties to hold it in place while using the fishing line to secure it, is a great idea.

OP
FishRFriendz

FishRFriendz

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
So I did end up trying out the cable ties on the last one I made, and while the heads do take up some space, it seems alright.

Just be sure to have the heads on the inside. Even with the heads inside the thickness of the ties makes this a bit more snug fitting in the filter than using fishing line, but build time is amazing fast.

QL9Ozep.jpg

Ut8KfzP.jpg

And a bit more clarification on the front piece.

The front piece is attached at a slight angle near the bottom to allow room for the plastic nub. Then straightened out with the front again once above the nub.
xuPAhp6.jpg

But very quickly straightened out.
yr1FqlE.jpg

tfreema

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Awesome idea!

You could actually lay a piece of filter floss on top of that to catch small particles that make it through the larger media. Floss can be replace as needed without impacting the biological filtration.

OP
FishRFriendz

FishRFriendz

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
tfreema said:
You could actually lay a piece of filter floss on top of that to catch small particles that make it through the larger media. Floss can be replace as needed without impacting the biological filtration.
Polyester floss is a bit harder to use in this filter. There is no dedicated flow path like an Aquaclear has that would really force water through the floss. There are some good choke points, but forming a pad of floss to fit is hard.

The original configuration Azoo have only 2 thin sponges provides a large open area in the back behind the sponges and in the front of the sponges, this is necessary to get water to flow through the sponges evenly, but water will go right over them as soon as the sponges are clogged.

With the entire media section filled as I have, the water is not really forced down into the bottom half. The use case here is to generally provide aerated water to the bacteria on the media rather than mechanically filter the water. Depending on the media used there is enough 'mixing' of water that will provide oxygen to the bottom half of the filter media compartment. Fluval biomax rings or generic ceramic rings, matrix, eheim bio-mech or substrat pro are all fairly loose and easy for water to mix.

An Aquaclear is a better filter for using floss to really polish the water (and better filter overall except for the price and flow for smaller tanks).

New Threads