Help Axolotls

Raeaxolotl

Reaction score
I’m a first time aquarium owner and I have started cycling my tank. I am getting an Axolotl when the tank is done. I have done a lot and I mean A LOT of research on them but any extra information would be nice! Ideas on tank set ups and what type of plants I should use would be great!

Ghelfaire

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
How big is your aquarium? They get pretty big so leave them lots of swimming space. I imagine any hardy plants that are hard to uproot

Fae

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My axolotl lavender rips up anything and everything! She is vicious!

She absolutely loves moss though. I think she prefers napping on it to everything else. I try to give her a few different varieties, she tends to leave them alone (maybe since they're bed and bed is life)

She really likes climbing up plants as well. She rips them out eventually, but while they last, she will scale them up to the surface and chase after worms I'm enticing her with. It's really cute.

I would put more plants in, but axolotls haaaaate light, at least mine does (and I'm sure you've read they don't like it). I'm not sure how people generally get around this problem so I just supplement it with fake plants

Hides are important as well! I have one fake log and some rocks I stacked. She prefers the fake log but she's outgrowing it, honestly.

I think the key things are to make sure there is not much light or current, so adding things that thwart those problems are my main concerns (they also like super clean water but they are absolute pigs and don't want current, so filtering can be tricky lol)

I would say definitely go sand over bare bottom also! Lavender might be a different story since she was a rescue and she didn't know how to walk when I got her, but bare bottom really didn't work for her, she couldn't get any grip and it stressed her out. Sand is better and more natural, and they can walk a little easier (no gravel tho!)

Also, caudata is a pretty decent forum for just straight answers from knowledgeable people, but there's a much smaller user base compared to here. Buuuuut here, I think maybe less people familiar with axolotls? If you end up needing help with anything, or just wanting to do some more reading, I'd check out caudata as well :)

ALSO check out this blog, it's super cute and gives some cool insights to axolotl behaviour (okay I'll stop now XD)

OP
Raeaxolotl

Raeaxolotl

Reaction score
Ghelfaire said:
How big is your aquarium? They get pretty big so leave them lots of swimming space. I imagine any hardy plants that are hard to uproot
My tank is a 20 gallon long

OP
Raeaxolotl

Raeaxolotl

Reaction score
Fae said:
My axolotl lavender rips up anything and everything! She is vicious!

She absolutely loves moss though. I think she prefers napping on it to everything else. I try to give her a few different varieties, she tends to leave them alone (maybe since they're bed and bed is life)

She really likes climbing up plants as well. She rips them out eventually, but while they last, she will scale them up to the surface and chase after worms I'm enticing her with. It's really cute.

I would put more plants in, but axolotls haaaaate light, at least mine does (and I'm sure you've read they don't like it). I'm not sure how people generally get around this problem so I just supplement it with fake plants

Hides are important as well! I have one fake log and some rocks I stacked. She prefers the fake log but she's outgrowing it, honestly.

I think the key things are to make sure there is not much light or current, so adding things that thwart those problems are my main concerns (they also like super clean water but they are absolute pigs and don't want current, so filtering can be tricky lol)

I would say definitely go sand over bare bottom also! Lavender might be a different story since she was a rescue and she didn't know how to walk when I got her, but bare bottom really didn't work for her, she couldn't get any grip and it stressed her out. Sand is better and more natural, and they can walk a little easier (no gravel tho!)

Also, caudata is a pretty decent forum for just straight answers from knowledgeable people, but there's a much smaller user base compared to here. Buuuuut here, I think maybe less people familiar with axolotls? If you end up needing help with anything, or just wanting to do some more reading, I'd check out caudata as well :)

ALSO check out this blog, it's super cute and gives some cool insights to axolotl behaviour (okay I'll stop now XD)

Thank you this is all very helpful! I do have a moss ball in the tank right now and I do plan on getting some java fern as well. I do know about the light and I plan on keeping it dark. I have a pot in the tank and plan on getting a big drift wood hide before getting her. I have sand in the tank right now too while cycling! Thank you so much for the great advice

Ghelfaire

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Raeaxolotl said:
My tank is a 20 gallon long
Might be a tight squeeze for turning around when it reaches adult size but it'll be fine for now. Axolotls get about 10" and a 20 gallon long tank is only 12" wide.

OP
Raeaxolotl

Raeaxolotl

Reaction score
Ghelfaire said:
Might be a tight squeeze for turning around when it reaches adult size but it'll be fine for now. Axolotls get about 10" and a 20 gallon long tank is only 12" wide.
I’ve heard that. Right now it is only about 6 inches and around 8 months old. Do you think it will get bigger? And what size do you recommend?

Ghelfaire

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Raeaxolotl said:
I’ve heard that. Right now it is only about 6 inches and around 8 months old. Do you think it will get bigger? And what size do you recommend?
30 gallon breeder or 40 gallon breeder have 18" width and aren't too high for your axolotl
I'm not sure how fast they grow.

New Threads