Axolotls

AmunetDeVawn

Would a 4 Gallon tank be large enough for 3 axolotls to live happily?

Demeter

Did you mean 40gal? If so then possibly but I'd think 2 would be better in the average 40gal tank.

AmunetDeVawn

Demeter said:
Did you mean 40gal? If so then possibly but I'd think 2 would be better in the average 40gal tank.
YES I meant 40 gallon. Sorry. That would be a horrifying thought 3 axies in a 4 gallon aquarium. I would have a filter for up to 50 gallons and wouldn't mind doing 50% percent water changes weekly.

AmunetDeVawn

AmunetDeVawn said:
YES I meant 40 gallon. Sorry. That would be a horrifying thought 3 axies in a 4 gallon aquarium. I would have a filter for up to 50 gallons and wouldn't mind doing 50% percent water changes weekly.
I would also be periodically ridding of axie poo

david1978

I believe its 20 gallons for the first one and 10 gallons more per. So yes a 40 would work. If your going with a hob filter get one with a large media box. Aquaclear or tidal type. Personally I would use an aquaclear 70.

AmunetDeVawn

david1978 said:
I believe its 20 gallons for the first one and 10 gallons more per. So yes a 40 would work. If your going with a hob filter get one with a large media box. Aquaclear or tidal type. Personally I would use an aquaclear 70.
I was thinking marine land 200 because it has a place for a sponge to be added if the current is too strong.

david1978

I very dislike cartridge type filters. Very small media compartment. The cartridges need replaced every year were the big sponges last for 5+ years.

AmunetDeVawn

david1978 said:
I very dislike cartridge type filters. Very small media compartment. The cartridges need replaced every year were the big sponges last for 5+ years.
What cartridge are you referring to?

david1978

Marineland Penguin Power Filter Cartridge Rite-Size C, 3 Count, Replacement Cartridge For Aquarium Filtration

This is all they use for filter media.

AmunetDeVawn

david1978 said:
Marineland Penguin Power Filter Cartridge Rite-Size C, 3 Count, Replacement Cartridge For Aquarium Filtration

This is all they use for filter media.
Oh okay yeah I'm well prepared for that.

ojdgtjc

yes a 40 would work if you have adequate filtration and reg water changes

TheMadScientist

AmunetDeVawn said:
Would a 4 Gallon tank be large enough for 3 axolotls to live happily?
I had 3 in my 55 for a while. The people I got em from suposedly had 7 at one point in a 55. But from the conditions of everything they gave me 7 most def was way to many. When I had 3 I was doing weekly water changes with heavy vacumes. I have a marine land canister and 2 hob aqueon 30s the currents are all suppressed by plants. I also have a long air stone. I only have 2 in my 55 and my water parameters stay awesome. I'd say if it's like a 40 breeder they should so awesome. As long as the tank is cycled and regularly maintenance is carried out

Kjeldsen

I have Penguin 200's on a couple of 20 gallon tanks. They're good filters but most manufacturers greatly exaggerate their capacity and they're just adequate for a 20 gallon, to be honest. I don't know about Axolotles or how to spell it but they look like they could be big waste producers. For a 40 gallon tank you would need two when they're full grown.
I also use Aqua Clears on other tanks and here's how I'd rate them.

Penguin/Marineland
Pros:
*Inexpensive
*Two year warranty
*Self-priming
*Can intake water at two levels
*Optional but cheap media cartridge.

Cons:
*The bio-wheel always stops spinning after a month, is actually useless. By the time it stops spinning, the cartridge filter is handling the job, so don't throw it out.
*Can be relatively noisy.

Aqua Clear
Pros:
*No question it cleans the water better. When I squeeze the sponge from an AQ 50 on a very lightly stocked 20 gallon, the waste water is much dirtier than the Penguins.
*The AQ50 has been running for over 10 years, outlasting all others. Replaced a canister with the AQ110, which actually does a better job.
*Smaller footprint and less noticeable.
*The "waterfall" stays strong and quiet, where others can dribble.

Cons:
*Can cost twice as much.
*It's a pain to restart every time the power goes out. Often I have to remove it and clean the impeller, and worry more about the filter than the fish when I'm gone for a few days.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom