Axolotls Won't Eat???? (help Please)

1. Lena Rain

Lena Rain New Member Member

So the two axolotls that I found in the wild in Idaho, (long story short I think someone bred and released them or something) and they were eating 1 or 2 pieces of earthworms every other day, and now they seem agitated, getting startled if the slightest thing happens, like me putting the worm in the water, or something tapping their container. They are constantly swimming around very fast, and one keeps bending his tail. Can someone please help me fix it??? they need help!!!!!

2. Demeter

Demeter Well Known Member Member

What temp are you keeping them at? Have you been changing their water or do they have a cycled tank? Are you removing uneaten food? Can ypu test the water for nitrites, nitrate and ammonia then post the number results?

Plus I want pictures, just because they are cute.

3. OP
    OP
    Lena Rain

I can't take pictures with the laptop I currently possess, but I will try and get pictures and then send them to my laptop next time I get the chance.
    and their temp has been around 60-66 degrees F. I change their water every other day, only because I think If I do it every single day it might stress them out. I always remove uneaten food, and I take extra care to make sure I get all of it, while not bugging the little guys too much.
    They aren't technically in a tank at the moment, they are in a medium-sized plastic chocolate almond container until I can get my tank out of storage, which will be fairly soon, but they have plenty of room to roam at the moment because they are only about an inch long.
    I can't test for chemicals or anything right now, but even when I move them into a separate tupperware container for cleaning they usually let me pick them up easily and then they were fairly chill while I was cleaning and resituating their home. today they were just freaking out, and I could barely get them into my hand. I'm super worried for my little guys. (or girls)

4. Demeter

Demeter Well Known Member Member

I’d do 50-75% water changes every day. Use a siphon or simply poor the water out and gently add it back in. Removing them each time is just too stressfull.

Are you sure they are axolotls though? Salamanders go through metamorphoses and will look like little axolotls for a while. Of course they won’t be the white and yellows of some axolotl color morphs.

5. IHaveADogToo

IHaveADogToo Well Known Member Member

They aren't big enough for earthworms. I know you are cutting them into pieces, but the worms are still too thick and would need to be cut long ways. Earthworms are even too thick for my 5 inch long axolotl. She spits them back out because she can't swallow them. I've been feeding red wigglers instead, which are much thinner, and that has worked out well. For a 1 inch long axolotl, though, you should be feeding bloodworms. Even red wigglers might be too big.

6. OP
    OP
    Lena Rain

no, I'm sure they are axolotls, there is a white/pink one that is unmistakable.
    and I have yet to get bloodworms, which is why I'm substituting, and they have been swallowing and digesting them fine until now. I have had them for 10 days now, and no problems until now.

7. lotl_mom

lotl_mom New Member Member

feed them cut up black worms, when my babies were tiny thats all they ate!

8. OP
    OP
    Lena Rain

the only thing is, I feel like I can't compare to other axolotl owners, because mine were not born/raised in captivity, so they aren't used to people quite yet. I have been able to get them to eat more earthworms. (they are really thin worms, like really thin. didn't mention that before.) but anyway, they are doing fine now. my pink one is eating more than my wildtype, but both are growing fast.