Axolotl 20 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Amphibians' started by mattm, Nov 10, 2018.

1. mattm

mattm Valued Member Member

Didnt really know which forum to put this on but i was wondering if you...
    A) need a heater?
    B) can have tankmates?
    C) best filter?
    D) substrate?
    E) need to cycle?

New to axolotls and really would like one so if you have answers to these let me know

2. Quiche

Quiche Valued Member Member

Hello!

a) No heaters, they need to be kept at 70f or below.
    b) No tankmates besides other axolotls, if space permits.
    c) The problem with axolotls is that they are very, very messy. However, they also don't like water flow. A canister/hob filter with a baffled output would be best for a multi-axolotl tank, but if it's just one, two strong sponge filters may suffice.
    d) Absolutely no gravel, because they can eat it and cause intestinal impactions. Very fine sand is ok but I keep mine without sand because cleaning it would be a pain due to the messiness.
    e) Yes, need to cycle! They breathe water just like fish.

If you have any more questions I would be happy to answer them! I'm currently raising some baby axolotls and they're so much fun :)

3. OP
    OP
    mattm

mattm Valued Member Member

If I don't use a heater would a chiller work fine? My room tends to get hot during the summer.

what would you use if you aren't using sand?

4. Bettalad

Bettalad Valued Member Member

A chiller will work to keep the tank cold and provide peace of mind during the hot months!

You could do bare bottom if you don’t want to use sand

5. FishFor2018

FishFor2018 Well Known Member Member

ive heard that they need a place to go to get out of the water but im not sure if thats true or not lol

6. Bettalad

That’s not true axolotls are fully aquatic

7. Bettalad

They’re from a lake in Mexico!

8. AngelsAbove

AngelsAbove New Member Member

A) "need a heater?" Nope, they are cold water critters. They prefer water of about 68 degrees. No more then 70.
    B) "can have tankmates?" .... Yes and no. I've heard a lot of people keep their with disposable white cloud minnows. They usually eat them after a whilw. A friend has never had any eaten.
    D) substrate? ABSOLUTELY NO GRAVEL. Gravel will be eaten and can kill your axo. Use sand or bare bottom. I suggest bare bottom even though it's ugly, because axos have a large bioload.
    E) need to cycle? Yes.

9. AngelsAbove

AngelsAbove New Member Member

Also, I'd like to add that 1) you need another 10 gallons per each extra axolotl and 2) don't fill the tank up all the way since these guys sometimes leap for no apparent reason and could jump out of the tank. They need more ground area then swimming area.

10. TheMadScientist

TheMadScientist Valued Member Member

I have built several cooling fans that are built in my lids for cooling.
    Also these guys do not like bright light. Keep it dim and out of sunlight. I went as far as tinting my house Windows in my fish room.

Also temp wise I have read many place pretty much 62 to 72 is ideal 72 to 74 is warm And 75 or over is stressfull
    Also I feed mine a mix of earth worms and axo pellets. Even minnows...

Btw I got 3 in a 55 And it seems perfect

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2018 at 1:22 AM

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice