Axolotl

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by The Only Stig, Apr 9, 2017.

1. The Only Stig

The Only Stig Valued Member Member

Hello all I have been interested in axolotls ever since I have seen them. I don't know much about there care. I would like to try to keep them in a 29 gallon I'm saving up for. I would like to know:
    1. Can I keep them in a 29 gal, if so how many?
    2. Do I need special food?
    3. What kind of aquascape do they like?
    4. Do they need any other special equipment?
    5. What ph, nitrate, nitrite, ammonia levels?
    6. What temperature do they require?
    7. Any other useful information!
    Thanks!!

2. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

1. Just 1
    2. They are mostly carnivorous so things like frozen bloodworms are good
    3. Any really. They like a bit of open space along with a few hiding spots
    4. A low flow filter
    5. Around 7 Ph is good. 0 Ammonia, 0 nitrite and 0-20ppm nitrate just like fish.
    6. Around 15-25c. They're pretty adaptable but they don't like really warm water, you probably won't need a heater apart from keeping the water stable.
    7. They don't like a lot of water flow. Sand or bare bottom is best substrate.

3. OP
    OP
    The Only Stig

Ok, could I have tank mates?
    And what do you mean by 15c-20c for the temperature?

4. N

Namtab Well Known Member Member

15-20 degrees Celsius, which translates to 59-68 degrees Fahrenheit.

5. OP
    OP
    The Only Stig

What is the difference between axolotls and water dogs?

6. N

Namtab Well Known Member Member

I don't think there is one. @BottomDweller correct am a if I'm wrong.

7. GlamCrab

GlamCrab Well Known Member Member

I think water dogs are juvenile salamenders? Could be wrong tho

8. BottomDweller

Not really, some snails may work though. What sort of tank mates were you thinking?
    None, same thing different names

9. Punkin

Punkin Well Known Member Member

From what I have heard, they like to eat earthworms. I don't know much about them other than that and that they are the larval stage of a salamander that never grows out of it. There is a YouTube video by Taylor dean that talks about axolotl care that I thought was pretty informative and should answer your questions, and I'm sure there are others. Have fun with your new pet! :)

10. OP
    OP
    The Only Stig

I was thinking some kind of fish so the tanks had a little more life and is more exciting

11. BottomDweller

Axolotls will eat most small fish and most larger fish will nibble at an axolotl's feathery gills

12. OP
    OP
    The Only Stig

Oh, I probably won't be keeping one than

13. T

Themaniac19 Valued Member Member

You can keep two in a 29gal so long as they're adults. Juveniles will cannibalize each other.

They prefer earthworms or crickets without their back legs. Blood worms are not a good staple since they lack proper nutrition. Fish (carps) contain enzymes that inhibit the use of thymine (or a similar compound). In other words, if you feed fish don't use rosy reds, feeder goldfish, or stuff like that.

Keep their temperature below 21c. Preferably about 16-18c.

If you do use sand use extremely fine sand so that they don't get intestinal impaction.

Waterdogs are larval or neotonic tiger salamanders (Ambystoma tigrinum species complex). Axolotls are occasionally called them as well, but common names aren't generally used when talking about these animals aside from axolotl (which in of itself is a species complex, but people refer to A. mexicanum as it usually).

If you do decide to get it, they have great personalities!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice