Axolotl?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Spencer1044, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Spencer1044Valued MemberMember

Okay so I have my lovely 24 gallon forest here
    ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438606800.855697.jpg
    ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438606821.355540.jpg
    ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438606854.819153.jpg
    As I have 4 other tanks so moving fish isn't a problem for me. It has plant gravel capped with sand. And well quite an abundance of plants as you can see (I've been on vacation for about a month haven't trimmed anything). But I was wondering if I could put an axolotl in this tank. I have done research but would like to get advice from experienced axolotl keepers. Could the axolotls be with fish that are in the tank. Are the plants okay to stay or should I take them out if I get the axolotl.
    Micro sword
    Java moss
    Banana plant
    Rosetta sword
    Marble queen
    Another marble queen but the red version I forget the name
    And a ton of rotala

There is also a large piece of driftwood and som rocks in there. So what do you think? Thanks in advance for your help.

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

Here's a site on them:

What are the dimensions of your tank? They recommend a 10 gal minimum for an animal that can reach up to 14 inches, so I don't know how much I'd trust this site. Personally, I wouldn't house one where they couldn't turn around easily, so at least one with a minimum width of 14 inches.

3. BornThisWayBettasFishlore VIPMember

Flowingfins or blusshed might know. But I do know that axolotls shouldn't have fish as tankmates.

4. FlowingfinsFishlore VIPMember

Axolotls are cold water amphibians, they will most likely cut themselves on the driftwood, they don't do well with any fish as tank mates, and have an interesting diet. Axolotls eat earthworms, and axolotl pellets. I would say a minimum tank size of a 20 gallon long, but bigger is always better. Axolotls will also most likely need a chiller, fan, or something to keep their tank nice and chilly. Also, axolotl tanks are best left lightly decorated, with silk plants and smooth stones(Bigger than their heads). Here is a link to a care sheet I wrote about axolotls. https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/amphibians/194956-care-sheet-axolotl.html

I would avoid putting an axolotl in this tank, if you can provide another tank for one, I would go for it! Axolotls are so much fun to have as pets!

5. blusshedWell Known MemberMember

Axolotls should be in long tanks as opposed to tall.

Also they will end up eating the fish? So I would remove.

Plants are fine, they don't really need heavily planted tanks either, just some to hang in and relax.

Sand is the best substrate, or bare bottom.

20 gal is the minimum for 1 full grown axxie, anything smaller than my 20 gal long and mine wouldn't be comfortable at all...

And as mentioned above, they would cut themselves on the driftwood. They can get spooked and take off zooming and injure themselves.