Axolotl - Update

JoshMerk

I got a new axolotl and I’m looking for a little bit of help. First time owning one and I did my fair bit of research before hand. Two things I need help with is the water temp and cleaning the sand. I haven’t had a sand substrate aquarium yet and I’m wondering how to clean it without the sand getting sucked into the siphon tube. And back to the water temp. If anyone knows where to get a cheap (not bad) water cooler or fan for the tank let me know because of right now I’m just floating a bag of ice but with summer the temp in my house melts the bag of ice and I don’t see that much of a difference in the water temp and when I do it usually just rises back to the 70s. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you. (The brown in the sand from the picture is left over food from the shrimp pellets I feed him.)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 65

kattiq

Have you tried frozen water bottles? Maybe they will last a little bit longer than just a bag of ice since the water is more condensed. Also just heard a regular fan pointed at the aquarium will help too.
Congrats on the new addition

Also here's a video on how to just get the debris up from the sand and not the sand itself. I had trouble today with it taking part of my gravel out too. It's at about 3 minute mark where he starts to show you how to do it.

Upvote 0

JoshMerk

I’ll have to try the water bottles, and I appreciate the help. Thank you.

Upvote 0

kattiq

I’ll have to try the water bottles, and I appreciate the help. Thank you.
Hope it works better for you! If not, I’m sure some others have better suggestions.

Upvote 0

Willj626

I keep a small fan blowing on my tank and that really does lower water temp pretty well- be mindful of the temp though, I left fan on for too long and accidentally lowered the temp to 49 degrees.

Upvote 0

JoshMerk

****. I’ll have to look into a small fan for the tank then. Because obviously it works if ya temp went down to the 40s. Hope the fish were ok though. And thanks for the feedback. Appreciate it.

Upvote 0

Willj626

No harm was done t
****. I’ll have to look into a small fan for the tank then. Because obviously it works if ya temp went down to the 40s. Hope the fish were ok though. And thanks for the feedback. Appreciate it.
No harm was done to any fish or amphibians! This was before I put fish in and was still trying to figure out how long to leave the fan on- apparently all-day was too long.

Upvote 0

JoshMerk

Hey everyone, this is just an update on my axolotl. Thanks for all the support on my last post. Here’s the little fella now.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 55
Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Ir3land
  • Live Love Aquatic Life
  • Amphibian