Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Axolotl Tank Size And Filter Question

Discussion in 'Amphibians' started by TrainerRuby, Mar 23, 2019.

1. TrainerRubyValued MemberMember

My lfs has an axolotl that I'd love to get but I'm unsure of tank size and all that. Is a 40g breeder big enough for an axolotl? I know they need lots of filtration with little flow so would a sponge filter work or should I use a hob/canister?

2. FlowingfinsFishlore VIPMember

A 40B is the perfect size for one! The canister would be good if you can get one with low enough flow, they are pretty messy. Make sure you can keep your tank cold enough for them as well.

3. TrainerRubyValued MemberMember

About what temp? I can get about 65f(18c) with no heaters on anything colder I'd need a chiller

4. RtessyFishlore VIPMember

65 is good, but if it hits 70 or above, they could die. Chillers are often needed to keep these guys, especially in the summer. I've seen one die from 73 :(

5. TrainerRubyValued MemberMember

Do axolotls need hides? If so do I use a reptile hide?

6. RtessyFishlore VIPMember

They definitely appreciate them, especially because they're nocturnal, but most reptile hides aren't safe for them as they're not meant for water. If it says "for reptiles and aquariums" then you're good, but if it only says reptiles, I wouldn't risk it

7. TrainerRubyValued MemberMember

I noticed a couple big caves at my lfs when I went to get supplies, looks like it's meant for cichlids so it might work. Obviously being nocturnal they don't like light so I got an aquasky and have it set up IMG_5837.JPG does this look like it'll be a good set up? Tanks all cloudy due to sand. I added the finest sand I could find cause I know they're messy eaters but I'll probably end up feeding it with tongs like I do most of my reptiles. Are there any plants that like cold water or will I need to go artificial?

8. Punkus_MagunkusValued MemberMember

First off with axolotls I know they are illegal someplaces so check that before getting one. I didnt do that and now have an illegal amphibian but that's besides the point. Anything 20g long or bigger is good for an axolotl 60-70f is where you want to keep then and as for light I would highly reccomend a cave or two so they can hide out during the day. Frozen blood worms live nightcrawlers and earthworm pellets all seem to be good food for the axolotl. As for filtration a canister with a spray bar would be great or a sponge filter but with a 40 gallon I would say get 2 mid sized sponges on each side of the tank. Using a Turkey baster to remove waste is also a good way to reduce how much of a mess they make.

9. TrainerRubyValued MemberMember

I'm from Ohio and I haven't seen anything about it for my state but I'm assuming they're legal here as it's a pet store selling it but if anyone knows otherwise let me know. I set up a roofing cf60 rated for 55g with a spraybar. The temp was 59 when I filled it but I'd assume it went up to around 65 to 70

10. david1978Fishlore LegendMember

From what I can find they are legal to keep just not to purposely release them into the wild.

11. TrainerRubyValued MemberMember

I don't think it's legal to release any animal into the wild here regardless if it's a naurally occuring species or not.
    I know people have gotten in trouble for releasing minnos into creeks that already have minnos in them

12. RtessyFishlore VIPMember

I'm not real smart on the lighting side of thing, so I can't comment on that. As for plants, definitely! As long as the temp stays above 60, you can pick basically any plant. I haven't found one of the "warm water" ones that doesn't work in cold water, heck, I've kept red root floaters in 50° for a few weeks and they were fine. Anacharis especially thrives in lower temperatures though and is awesome for nutrient absorption, takes away nitrates unlike anything else.
    Try getting a good pair of aquascaping tweezers, those won't rust after getting water on them and come in a lot of sizes, I like 14" ones. Also, a lot of people use bowls and plates in the tanks, most anything that is food safe will work, I've used teacups and other bowls before.

Haha yeah, I've gotten yelled at for helping fish after a pond got dredged and redone, then putting them back in after. Whoops.

13. david1978Fishlore LegendMember

I only mentioned it because it was in bold letters in every article I found.

14. TheMadScientistValued MemberMember

So i drop my earth worms in and use my old rabbit ear antenna to poke the worms around to them.

Great from moving things and such .
    Filters .I run on mine a marine land 220 i think it is .With a nice home made spray bar .
    I got a rigged of sponge setup in one corner in desperate need of upgrading or redoing . And i run a aqueon 30 gallon tank hob. Which didnt even really filter the 30 i got .
    But i i also disperse all the currents with some really tall fake plants that they love to hide in too.

I just break down and once a week i do 35 % or so water changes .And a good sand vac.
    I have to do larger water changes as my cooling fan builds evaporate upto 3 to 5 gallons a day,My well water is already hard enough without evap adding to it.
    Mines a 55 with 2 in it
    But in the end my guys seem to be thriving quite well and my parameters stay pretty stable

15. TrainerRubyValued MemberMember

IMG_5907.JPGIMG_5908.JPG
    After plenty of prep time he/she is finally in the tank and is roaming around. Lights are dimmed and I'll leave it to explore the nice big tank.

16. KiksWell Known MemberMember

Congratulations on your new friend! It's a cutie.