Axolotl Substrate

Discussion in 'Aquarium Aquascaping' started by AxolotlAquarist, Jun 26, 2018.

1. AxolotlAquarist

AxolotlAquaristValued MemberMember

A while ago I took my axolotl to the vet and told them I kept her on a fine sand substrate because that's what I always heard you should do. They told me sand causes impactions and instead I should keep them on rocks bigger than their heads.
    I had always thought if your sand was fine enough, the axolotls could digest it without getting an impaction? I worry their little feet would get crushed in between the rocks. However, I did take that axolotl off the sand and kept her in a barebottomed tank ever since and she hasn't gotten one air bubble. I'm not sure if it's related, but the one with sand get air bubbles every week and spends more time floating then on the bottom. I feed him sinking pellets, so I'm not sure if there's a connection between sand and air bubbles. Do you think it's safe to keep him on sand?

2. AquaticJ

AquaticJFishlore VIPMember

I always recommend they be kept on either bare bottom or slate. They can grow back limbs, which is pretty cool, so it wouldn't be the end of the world if it got stuck (although I've never seen or had this happen).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice