Axolotl Raising Log

Quiche

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hello! I'm raising some axolotl eggs and I thought you lovely folks might be interested in watching them grow while learning more about the species :)
(Mods, I didn't know where exactly to put this thread, so please move it if this isn't the right spot!
10/09/2019
IMG_20191009_143424.jpg

These eggs were layed 11 days ago on 09/29/2019. They were shipped to me on 10/07/2019 and I recieved them today on 10/09/2019. I ordered 25 but the breeder threw in a few extras, so there are 31 eggs in the above picture! Axolotl eggs hatch after 14-21 days depending on temperature; the warmer it is, the faster they will hatch. Right now it is 72F which is rather warm for axolotls, but based on where they are in development now, I wager it'll be another 6 days.
IMG_20191009_144126.jpg

Here's a close up. Not a whole lot can be seen just yet from a camera, but in person I can see that some have the beginnings of gills. If I really get up close, some even have pigment!
As you may or may not know, there are many morphs of axolotls. Some of the most common examples are wildtype (brown-green, black eyes) melanoid (black, black eyes ringed with grey), albino (white-pink, red eyes), and leucistic (pink, black eyes). The mother was an albino that was heterozygous for leucistic and the father was a leucistic. That means that 50% of the babies will be leucistic and other 50% will be wildtypes, unless the parents have some unknown recessive genes. I know that may not intuitively make sense, so if y'all are interested I would be happy to explain more about axolotl genetics later! Another fun fact; because the mother was albino, all the eggs are currently white; they will develop pigment later. If the mother was wildtype, leucistic, or melanoid the eggs would've been black.
Occasionally one will wriggle if I accidentally startle it.
IMG_20191009_150032.jpg

The photo above is of what I call the 'ehh' eggs. They likely won't make it, because they are either unfertilized or have a cloudy film over them. It's expected and natural for some eggs to not hatch; that's why the breeder sent a few extra.

I'll post the next log when I see their eyes or gills. Let me know if you want to learn anything about the eggs or axolotls in general!

P.S. Wish my boy Big Gray a happy birthday! I hatched him along with his siblings a year ago on 10/10/2018 :) Bonus points if you can guess his morph out of the ones I listed above. As the days go by I'll share more about my previous successes and fails with axolotl eggs; this is my third rodeo.
IMG_20190413_201711.jpg

CMB

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So exciting, I'll definitely be following along to see how these guys develop! I love axolotls and honestly might have gotten some if I'd had the tank space for them. They're just so cute :)

pagoda

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They are beautiful and fascinating animals....tbh I would love to own one myself cos they are just so incredibly unique, but right now I don't have the space for a suitable aquarium, so I shall take great pleasure in following your exploits with these charming creatures :)

Reactions: CMB

CMB

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
They are beautiful and fascinating animals....tbh I would love to own one myself cos they are just so incredibly unique, but right now I don't have the space for a suitable aquarium, so I shall take great pleasure in following your exploits with these charming creatures :)
Hey, that's the same thing I'm doing :)

Quiche

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
10/12/2019
IMG_20191011_103548.jpg

IMG_20191011_104409.jpg

More pigment, eyes and gills now visible! Some of them appear to have clear eyes- if my suspicions are correct, that means that male leucistic parent was actually heterozygous for albino. As a result, half of the babies will be albino, a quarter of them leucistic, and a quarter of them wildtype, if my math works out. We'll see! I count 14 clear eyed eggs and 17 black eyed eggs, which roughly corresponds to a 50/50 split.
Yesterday I realized that if I looked really closely at an upside-down axolotl, I can see a heartbeat! It's impossible to get on camera because it's just so subtle and tiny, but I can see a red dot grow more vibrant and then dimmet at regular intervals. If anyone's curious, they have a heartrate of 64 bpm.
They're around 9mm long. Another thing is that the egg diameter appears to be shrinking, but I don't know why. They're surrounded by this circular jelly casing that's been slowly getting smaller- maybe so that they'll have an easier time getting out? I'm still betting that they'll start to hatch on Monday. I better get the brine shrimp hatchery up and running.
Next post will be made when they hatch- stay tuned for cute baby pics (of the axolotl kind!)

CMB

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
10/12/2019
View attachment 627033
View attachment 627038
More pigment, eyes and gills now visible! Some of them appear to have clear eyes- if my suspicions are correct, that means that male leucistic parent was actually heterozygous for albino. As a result, half of the babies will be albino, a quarter of them leucistic, and a quarter of them wildtype, if my math works out. We'll see! I count 14 clear eyed eggs and 17 black eyed eggs, which roughly corresponds to a 50/50 split.
Yesterday I realized that if I looked really closely at an upside-down axolotl, I can see a heartbeat! It's impossible to get on camera because it's just so subtle and tiny, but I can see a red dot grow more vibrant and then dimmet at regular intervals. If anyone's curious, they have a heartrate of 64 bpm.
They're around 9mm long. Another thing is that the egg diameter appears to be shrinking, but I don't know why. They're surrounded by this circular jelly casing that's been slowly getting smaller- maybe so that they'll have an easier time getting out? I'm still betting that they'll start to hatch on Monday. I better get the brine shrimp hatchery up and running.
Next post will be made when they hatch- stay tuned for cute baby pics (of the axolotl kind!)
That's so adorable! You can actually see that they're starting to look like mini axolotls.

Foxxway

Valued Member
Reaction score
Where do you buy the eggs? What do you do with all the fry? Do you keep them all or sell them? Have u ever gotten them to breed on their own for you?

Quiche

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Where do you buy the eggs? What do you do with all the fry? Do you keep them all or sell them? Have u ever gotten them to breed on their own for you?
@Foxxway
Axolotls usually lay hundreds of eggs at a time, so people sell their extras. I scout Facebook for breeders who have eggs and they ship them to me. I sell the larvae once they're around 3-4", but sometimes I keep my favorites. Mine personally haven't bred yet- I find it's easier to buy eggs than to try to breed them myself, because all my adult axolotls are different morphs and trying to breed them would just result in wildtypes due to the way their genetics works. Thanks for the questions! :)

Kjeldsen

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Fascinating to see them at this stage. Unfortunately they're banned in California. Do you have to use a chiller?

Quiche

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
@Kjeldsen
It's a shame that they're banned in California! I live in the Chicago area so temps generally remain low except for 3 months in the summer; during those three months, I use a mesh lid + a strip of fans to keep the tank at 70f.

Top Bottom