Axolotl Questions

OiFisho

OK, I want an Axolotl tank and I need to know some things. First off, would a 29 or 30 gallon be big enough? I've 20's good for one but other things say I'd need a 40 gallon for two. Either way I want two, I've seen things saying 30 gallons is good for 3 but that's a decision for after I get the first couple, to see if I like them and if I want to spend that much more money. Another question is is what are some cheap brackish plants. I want to spend as little money as possible but I also want the tank to look good and nice. Question number 3 is should I give them a spot to get out of the water. I know they'll dry out out of water for too long but they'd be right there and are amphibians that will grow lungs. And that's it, I'd really appreciate some answers, also I won't get the tank for a while so I have time to contemplate life.

AverageAquarist22

A YouTuber called Girl Talks Fish has a bunch of really informative videos on axolotls :)

Upvote 0

wishuponafish

OK, I want an Axolotl tank and I need to know some things. First off, would a 29 or 30 gallon be big enough? I've 20's good for one but other things say I'd need a 40 gallon for two. Either way I want two, I've seen things saying 30 gallons is good for 3 but that's a decision for after I get the first couple, to see if I like them and if I want to spend that much more money. Another question is is what are some cheap brackish plants. I want to spend as little money as possible but I also want the tank to look good and nice. Question number 3 is should I give them a spot to get out of the water. I know they'll dry out out of water for too long but they'd be right there and are amphibians that will grow lungs. And that's it, I'd really appreciate some answers, also I won't get the tank for a while so I have time to contemplate life.
A 29 would be bare minimum for 1 (same base area as a 20 long) and a 30 gallon with dimensions 36"x18" (x12" tall) would be excellent for 1 and perhaps bare minimum but kind of cramped for 2.

Vallisneria and water sprite are some cheap brackish plants that will spread quickly so you don't need to buy a lot. Java fern is good too but grows slowly. Is this intended for the axolotl tank? Because they don't need brackish water. I would recommend freshwater because salt can get pricey with water changes.

Axolotls (generally) don't need land. That's what makes them so unique!

Upvote 0

pagoda

Having owned an Axie for two years until he passed away earlier this year....

No need for brackish water, just plain dechlorinated water is perfectly fine. They originated from freshwater lakes in Mexico

They are fully amphibious and will die if out of the water...absolutely do not have them out of water whatsoever. They have lungs like the adult Salamander but they never grow to being that, so they must remain underwater at all times. Water changes are weekly 50 to 60% each time and an oversized filter due to them being excessively messy on waste.

They need large hiding places, no lighting apart from natural light, no heating....heat and bright light distresses them greatly. Substrate must be sand, no stones or rocks smaller than his or her head cos they will try to eat them. If they get a stone inside or are constipated, its into a tub of dechlorinated water and in the fridge for a week to slow the metabolism down so they can pass the blockage without doing themselves harm

Mine was living in a 20g long and was perfectly happy and healthy. The aquarium was infact double what many recommend. When my boy arrived he was around 10cm long, when he passed away he was 36cm long. They become less active as they mature but they are very very interactive with you....my Phoenix would greet me every morning with a burp, a fart and a smile :)

This is Phoenix when he arrived and about a week before he passed away....it is suspected he passed cos he was so much larger than normal and his heart gave out. They usually max around 30cm.

757046-7fbe3a4e4cedb3ef78747c9e68d6f71d.jpg
757047-694338d50a2e818093476a73a57544be.jpg

Upvote 0

OiFisho

Having owned an Axie for two years until he passed away earlier this year....

No need for brackish water, just plain dechlorinated water is perfectly fine. They originated from freshwater lakes in Mexico

They are fully amphibious and will die if out of the water...absolutely do not have them out of water whatsoever. They have lungs like the adult Salamander but they never grow to being that, so they must remain underwater at all times. Water changes are weekly 50 to 60% each time and an oversized filter due to them being excessively messy on waste.

They need large hiding places, no lighting apart from natural light, no heating....heat and bright light distresses them greatly. Substrate must be sand, no stones or rocks smaller than his or her head cos they will try to eat them. If they get a stone inside or are constipated, its into a tub of dechlorinated water and in the fridge for a week to slow the metabolism down so they can pass the blockage without doing themselves harm

Mine was living in a 20g long and was perfectly happy and healthy. The aquarium was infact double what many recommend. When my boy arrived he was around 10cm long, when he passed away he was 36cm long. They become less active as they mature but they are very very interactive with you....my Phoenix would greet me every morning with a burp, a fart and a smile :)

This is Phoenix when he arrived and about a week before he passed away....it is suspected he passed cos he was so much larger than normal and his heart gave out. They usually max around 30cm.

757046-7fbe3a4e4cedb3ef78747c9e68d6f71d.jpg
757047-694338d50a2e818093476a73a57544be.jpg
Thanks for all the help! It's nice that you speak from experience, not Google, so thanks. If 20 was double recommended than you could've fit 2 in there and with math that's 10g per Axolotl so 3 prob could go in 29 or 30 gallons. Idk why I made that so long but I did, basically what I was trying to make sure is 2 Axolotls in a 29 gallon tank would be good. Also, what do you feed them and how do you keep their water cold enough. I know they can eat brine shrimp and I feed my ADFs Freeze Dried Brine Shrimp Omega One pellets, and I wanted to know if that would work.

Upvote 0

wishuponafish

Thanks for all the help! It's nice that you speak from experience, not Google, so thanks. If 20 was double recommended than you could've fit 2 in there and with math that's 10g per Axolotl so 3 prob could go in 29 or 30 gallons. Idk why I made that so long but I did, basically what I was trying to make sure is 2 Axolotls in a 29 gallon tank would be good. Also, what do you feed them and how do you keep their water cold enough. I know they can eat brine shrimp and I feed my ADFs Freeze Dried Brine Shrimp Omega One pellets, and I wanted to know if that would work.
I keep my axolotl in a 20g long and he's nice and big and healthy but honestly he looks cramped even by himself, which is why I would call it bare minimum. When he sits facing the front or back he only has an inch of space in front of him till he hits glass. A 29 gallon is the same as a 20 long just taller, so as far as the axie is concerned it's the same thing to him since he doesn't care so much about going up and down. It's more important to do the math using floor space rather than gallons.

I'm moving him to a 40 gallon breeder soon, and a 30 gallon breeder will work just as well. That size will work for 2 axolotls, although the bigger the better.

I keep the water cold with a clip-on fan, and feed him pellets and earthworms.

Upvote 0

fishkid04

ok, I know you have already gotten some replies but i wanted to reply anyway. first off, you need to do a LOT more research based off your questions, they are an easy species to keep but they are also easy to kill. 20gal long is bare minimum for one axie with 10 gallons extra per additional lotl, so 30gal for 2, 40 for 3 and so on but the bigger the better and the easier to keep, larger tanks are less maintenance. remember, if keeping them together, please make sure they are the same sex or the male WILL breed the female to exhaustion or in some cases death. they are not brackish so no need for that. they normally do not leave the water. axolotls do not inherently metamorphosis like other salamanders to but because domesticated species are inbred with tiger salamanders some carry the gene but it is EXTREMELY rare so they will not leave the water, never take them out of the water and you do not need to provide them any land areas

Upvote 0

OiFisho

ok, I know you have already gotten some replies but i wanted to reply anyway. first off, you need to do a LOT more research based off your questions, they are an easy species to keep but they are also easy to kill. 20gal long is bare minimum for one axie with 10 gallons extra per additional lotl, so 30gal for 2, 40 for 3 and so on but the bigger the better and the easier to keep, larger tanks are less maintenance. remember, if keeping them together, please make sure they are the same sex or the male WILL breed the female to exhaustion or in some cases death. they are not brackish so no need for that. they normally do not leave the water. axolotls do not inherently metamorphosis like other salamanders to but because domesticated species are inbred with tiger salamanders some carry the gene but it is EXTREMELY rare so they will not leave the water, never take them out of the water and you do not need to provide them any land areas
Thanks, I'll get a 30gal prob with sand, whatever plant I see that won't do bad, some decorations, and a filter and thermometer.

Do you know if ThatPetPlace.com is a trusted website to get a tank?

Upvote 0

pagoda

Another thing that you can do when its summertime and room temps go up, have some dechlorinated water ice cubes in the freezer and drop a few into the aquarium periodically....my boy used to play with them too.

I fed my boy on frozen bloodworms, earthworms and shelled freshwater prawns as a treat

Remember that these guys absorb through the skin, so you have to be extremely careful not to have any ammonia or anything remotely toxic in the water. Weekly cold water changes are an absolute must, in summer twice weekly. They produce massive amounts of waste, so invest in a liquid test kit.

Sadly they are now extinct in the wild due to Mexico City being expanded and polluting the lake complex that they were found in.... Xochimilco lakes. The last one in the wild was found in 2014.

So its essentially only pet owners, breeders and laboratories that keep the species alive. Laboratories breed them for research into their unique ability to rebuild themselves, even their brain is reconstructed in the event of an injury.

They are cheeky, charming animals....I would love to have got another one after losing my Phoenix but quite simply he just is not replaceable, they take such a huge place in the heart. You can't cuddle them out of the water but they really interact with you so much....wonderful animals, but very fragile.

Upvote 0

fishkid04

Thanks, I'll get a 30gal prob with sand, whatever plant I see that won't do bad, some decorations, and a filter and thermometer.

Do you know if ThatPetPlace.com is a trusted website to get a tank?
I am not sure, sorry, I'm in Australia so I don't have any experience with international sites. if you look up "thatpetplace.com reviews" it will come up with sites telling you if it is trustworthy or not :)

Upvote 0

OiFisho

I am not sure, sorry, I'm in Australia so I don't have any experience with international sites. if you look up "thatpetplace.com reviews" it will come up with sites telling you if it is trustworthy or not :)
It's fine after 5 min of investigation I figured out they're in Pennsylvania and most tanks have to be picked up so it doesn't matter... Even if they could ship it I doubt they'd ship it to where I am.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
AngryRainbow
  • Question
Replies
Views
Aquariumlover1357
  • Question
Replies
Views